Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

Modular Display option for FX Window Issue Tools
issueid=1326 10-10-2009 07:30 PM
Human being with feelings
Modular Display option for FX Window
offer a graphic display of plugin pin connections

The idea here is simply to offer a clear graphic picture of plugin connections in the manner of any modular host - mulab, plogue, max, Tracktion's racks etc.

the view would be toggled in and out of from within the fx window.

ideally the pin connections would be editable - plugs could be added to the space etc.

nothing would change in REAPER's functionality: this is strictly an additional interface

------------------------------------
Please post any discussions over here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44361
Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Popular Request
Priority 4
Suggested Version 3.12
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 204
Users who would not use this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-10-2009 10:04 PM

Sounds like a great way to see all the complex routing at a glance. Should probably have the ability to group blocks together and zoom in/out, a bit like Reaktor's interface.
10-11-2009 05:21 AM

I have a lot of issues with this, I love the way you can route fx to sends internally in a track, but it isn't immediately obvious what is going where when you come back to the chain later

A comprehensive fx routing window would be amazing
10-11-2009 10:10 AM

With so many people voting they would use this it is going to be interesting to see how this goes
I asked for this about two years or so ago and was told that this simply wasn't going to happen by the devs
So i watch this one with hope ;)

NAS
10-13-2009 01:26 AM

The current routings is very hard to follow.

Modular display make it so much clearer for me.
10-13-2009 02:11 AM
Mortal

I'm gonna be insulted but...
... the guy who voted no is me!

Clarification: of course, I'd like something like that too, but as I'm used to design such modular components, I think there's something better to do...
Just an example: why not enlarging this FR ? Imaging you're in a main modular view where you see tracks "as boxes" routing as "links" and where you can drill-down into a track (i.e. double click on a box) and that now you're seeing this FR, i.e. the FX chain as a modular view. Of course you can have recursive "track boxes" (i.e. "track boxes" in "track boxes"): nested folder, etc.. well, many ideas, here!

It does not prevent a native implementation, of course, but I'm actually trying to code that as an extension (when I've some spare time, don't wait for it!). If I fail, which is on the good way, I'll post my ideas as a private FR.
10-13-2009 08:23 PM

Would it show sends or just FX on one track at a time (lie a Tracktion rack)? Would it allow you to do routing above and beyond the more linear current FX window? (like split signal in 3, apply different FX to each, combine signals together with a mixer type stuff - like energyxt/bidule)
10-14-2009 06:56 AM

this request is just to show FX on one track at a time.

Qwanta: The current FX window *does* allow signals to be split, effected differently and recombined as you describe. I think the fact that you have not found this functionality should demonstrate the problem with the current implementation! Also I find it very hard to keep track of what I have set up without a clear visualization.
10-14-2009 07:14 AM

Please post any further discussions over here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44361

I may well remove the previous posts later to tighten up this thread.
10-22-2009 06:15 AM
Administrator

Note, I closed this similar (earlier but less general) FR as a duplicate: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1018 so its 55 votes should be added to this FR.
10-22-2009 06:18 AM

So that will be 104 votes (ignoring those of us who voted "Yes" for both) :), an all-time winner ?
10-22-2009 06:20 AM
Administrator

More like 55 votes, because there's probably 100% overlap among yes voters :)

The vote count isn't really important though, it's clear a lot of people want a more readable/flexible way to do internal track (FX chain) routing.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue