Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

Pencil tool or smooth highlited waveform for de clicker Issue Tools
issueid=1178 09-11-2009 07:35 AM
Human being with feelings
Pencil tool or smooth highlited waveform for de clicker
Pencil tool bump

Just bumping this as I mentioned it in version 1.x and a few new people have been asking for it.

Pencil tool so we can draw out clicks/bad waveforms when zoomed in. A smooth selected area of waveform might surfice

MC
Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Popular Request
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 3.104
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 238
Users who would not use this feature 12
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-11-2009 05:23 PM

i would suggest to make a simple audio editor in reaper, which will have this feature together with other stuff
09-12-2009 10:57 PM

excellent and its another basic feature of every other daw.

internal audio editor im sure is coming soon. yes a process menu that includes a 'waveform restorer' like wavelab has it indispensable. thats how i fix digital dropouts.

and a pencil tool? how is that missing. ok i use an external editor, but external editor is DESTRUCTIVE, whereas internal can save undos.

BTW, youd want a SEPARATE undo menu for waveform edits!!!
09-14-2009 08:55 AM

New in the Pre Release you will be able to 'Pencil' Draw in Envelopes. Using this new feature along with Volume (Pre-FX) envelopes you can do EXACTLY what you are requesting.

Check it Out in this Video

REAPER basically is an Audio Editor, but performs Non-Destructively. You can have it behave destructively by Applying-FX to items, Gluing items, or multiple methods of Renders (including stems).
09-14-2009 10:18 AM
-blänk-

Labyrinth, that's not true. A pencil in the waveforms would allow to redraw the waveform. Say you have a cliping that spans a few samples, with the volume automation you could only make that clipping silent, but it stays a waveform with a square top or bottom. A pencil would correct the wave at that spot. You can sort of draw the edges round. That's very convenient for small sections.

But until this is possible in a non-destructive way, I don't really see it in Reaper. Voted for it anyway :)

Edit: Oh, just saw that video. Quite smart actually. I am going to try it with a faulty waveform and maybe withdraw my statement.

EDIT#2: actually, I withdraw. It's not like painting with a pencil, but obviously I am able to reshape the waveform from a square to a rounded edge by adding a point at some strategic samples (using the guideline is cool here) and shape the waveform to my content at sample level. That's cool enough for me.
Provided the envelope will always be sample accurate, that is.
EDIT#3: and it is. Volume and pan envelopes are sample accurate according to bbb

BTW. the take volume envelope is even better for this kind of editing, thanks Mercado and bbb for that notion.
09-14-2009 10:36 AM

I got you....okay then...I'm for it.
09-16-2009 05:50 AM

Why is the take envelope better? It seems to work not as well (automation editing wise).
09-16-2009 09:04 AM

I think it's not better just a bit different, it depends on users workflows. I don't use the track automation because I may need to disable it at some point. I just like the "in-place, direct relationship behaviour" with the item I'm editing.
09-17-2009 10:16 PM

ill edit a digital pop or glitch with pencil editor, then ill want to use a regular volume envelope as well, to automate the volume as usual.

no way we would want a whole envelope track enabled just to smooth out one sample at one spot, see? we need both
11-15-2009 12:07 PM

now, a pencil tool (which i need) realizes why we need TOOLS!

because i cant hold down a key modifier all day while i carefully draw out a new waveform over a bunch of digital pops, it hurts! we need to have a key press permanently change the tool, we have tools now, its just that we have to HOLD a key instead of just pressing it, come OOOON!

i encourage tools to be implemented, mabe as a SWS extension???
01-16-2010 01:05 AM

No, we don't need a tool. As I've said a couple of times already - waveform edit should be enabled automatically when the zoom level on the waveform is so high that it shows individual sample "dots", which could then be moved vertically in the same way as editing envelopes.
01-16-2010 03:27 AM

only if you mean I can draw at that zoom level. otheeowise there's no way I'll be able to draw over a hundred samples by dragging single sample points. also I need to be able to draw waveforms at a fairly zoomed out level like ten sin wave are in view when I draw. there's nonreason not to add a tool even if that modifier was automatic after a certain zoo. level
01-24-2010 02:28 PM

I think the soundforge implementation is the best, you zoom right in and it shows the dots. Then you can either move them manually or draw new ones. If reaper had this it would give me one less reason to use an external editor

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue