Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

Theme - powerful grid system in the piano roll (well done video included) ultra important for focusing. Issue Tools
issueid=577 07-14-2009 10:04 PM
Human being with feelings
Theme - powerful grid system in the piano roll (well done video included) ultra important for focusing.
focusing, focusing , focusing ...workflow...a presentation of FL's grid system in the piano roll

main request: Octave and Color separation.

A presentation of FL's grid system in the piano roll (most of it also works for the playlist)

This is more about the focusing side of the piano roll, rather than showing the piano roll's tools.

check it out: (a most see...straight to point)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtGIOiKig4M

everything is in the video already.

---
ps-I was discussing about it in the general forum before, seems like people like this idea.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=39375

ps2- Also notice the Left/Right click and Middle button harmony! (explained in the video) lots of users like it, so think about making it optional.
Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Popular Request
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 3.05
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 152
Users who would not use this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-15-2009 12:50 AM

i voted yes, but i don't think this should be anywhere near highest priority.
07-15-2009 02:11 AM

+1000

FL is definitely one of the most intuitive things ever.
07-22-2009 09:26 AM

This is an essential feature for enhancing the MIDI workflow.

+1,000,000 for this one :)
07-22-2009 09:48 AM
-blänk-

But, which "one" of them is the essential feature now?

As everybody might know I am all for improving the MIDI editors, no question, but what if I don't want all I see in that must see well done video included? This is a sweeping blow, which is the FR?
07-22-2009 11:01 AM

Presentation is nice, I like many of those things (not all of them as I'm already adjusted to few REAPER's ways how to do things in MIDI) - many of them are really missing and they are hard to do fast like you showed.

But this really is not FR as gofer pointed out. It's big bunch and there is no way how to track this.
07-22-2009 01:29 PM

I think that Justin and the other devs will get a useful insight for powerful workflow from this presentation, as you don't even need to think too much, just see what/how and implement it...

I trust them that they will know what to do with that...

we can start with the Octave and Color separations. (a lot of hard work invested over the years to create such a great piano roll workflow, so all needed to do is to watch the video and implement...instead reinventing the wheel slowly)

later on implement a better beat/time indicator and the rest...

ps-also handtool & right/left click harmony ALTERNATIVE OPTION (best if adjusted from the action list), but this is for another thread, tho maybe they can see its usefulness in the small vid.

cheers
07-22-2009 02:31 PM
-blänk-

See, that beat/time indicator is a perfect example of one of the things I don't like. There are more. So I don't feel I can vote yes, which is a pity because there is others I do like.

What I am trying to say is that this kind of "all in one" FR defeats the purpose of the issue tracker. What are people voting for exactly? All of it? How will this be tracked? If this would ever be changed to "coming soon" what will that mean?

Some of these are already issued in seperate threads, that's more the way to go, I think.

I wouldn't have posted anything if it were not for Synths comment saying this one feature was essential. a) this is not "one" feature b) none of them seem essential to me. This http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=124 is an example of things essential to me personally.

Not that it matters so much, i would vote also for non-essentials...
07-22-2009 02:56 PM

main request: Octave and Color separation. (this is what you vote for)

sometimes seeing just one feature, you don't get how this could improve your workflow...

for example, Left click to delete notes...people will start to flame...but when you see how it works as a whole with harmony, you start to think that maybe I should adopt this behaviour instead of my current habit.

Anyway, you got a strong point, I took it to my attention...I will try to be more specific with my FR.

(btw- the beat/time indicator isn't @ high priority as the color/octave separation, but it could be useful as OPTIONAL addition for the gui, this is something that depends whether the dev likes it or not, rather than what the users think about it)
07-24-2009 06:02 AM

@Reflected: it would be a good idea to rename this thread to "Octave and Color separation in the Piano Roll" and create separate threads for the beat/time indicator and the mouse clicking FRs.
07-24-2009 06:12 AM

@Reflectd: If you're an ex-FL Studio user,you should check out my consolidated FR thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

;)
07-24-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth
@Reflected: it would be a good idea to rename this thread to "Octave and Color separation in the Piano Roll" and create separate threads for the beat/time indicator and the mouse clicking FRs.
Yea I guess so, but I just need extra time to do that...

would you like to open a proper FR for 'Octave and Color separation'?
you can put a link to my video in the feature request. (tho I think that a picture of fl's piano roll with description will be enough.)
07-24-2009 06:43 AM

I just saw your FR topic, synth... man, some of you are really getting your teeth into changing Reaper into FL XD There are some good things in those FRs, but just blatantly copying almost every significant FL function is not what REAPER is about. It has its own workflow, and it doesn't need to copy others to be good. For example, I'm very fine with left-click add note/delete note behavior in MIDI editor. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but you do get used to it. I don't find it irritating one bit.

In fact, the other day I opened FL just for kicks. I started using right click marquee which is so good in Reaper, and I just deleted a bunch of notes XD habit is a bitch :P
07-24-2009 08:15 AM
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
In fact, the other day I opened FL just for kicks. I started using right click marquee which is so good in Reaper, and I just deleted a bunch of notes XD habit is a bitch :P
Haha :) You don't even need to open FL for this kind of experience. Just right-drag marquee in Reaper's own cc lanes.
07-24-2009 08:20 AM

Yeah I know :) Still waiting for better CC editing, with marquee, cut/copy/paste... And this: being able to edit ONLY the CCs that are currently selected. If none are selected, then I can edit all.

To use a popular catchphrase on this forum: just as it is in FL Studio!

Heck, that can be my sig now. XD
07-24-2009 08:21 AM

dragon, left/right click should be fully optional...

infact all mouse actions should be in the action list.

the mouse actions are very important to keep the workflow between all the programs that we use...

as I use the mouse non stop, it is very important to me to keep to keep its behaviour the same in all the programs that I use daily.
07-24-2009 08:23 AM

Well, I guess we'll see a full mouse action editor, both for items and MIDI items, there was a GREAT topic about that. I think there were even some mockups of how it should look. That would really be neat.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue