Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

Improved video playback support Issue Tools
issueid=604 07-17-2009 05:52 PM
Human being with feelings
Improved video playback support
better video engine for audio post-production work

I did not see a request for this yet in the tracker so I'm adding it. Better video support in Reaper for audio post-production would entail:

- accurate frame by frame display during playback; stationary placement of the cursor; scrubbing; and editing of item start time, end time and position

- accurate and easy to set offset times for session and video file

- the above listed level of support for defined codecs. There are so many video codecs available it is always a struggle to find one that works. A list of 'known to work' codecs takes the guesswork out of it.

- support for export of a compressed video file from selection or entire session. This will be for approvals, collaborations and internet publishing.

Obviously support for timecode snap and grid go hand in hand with this request but I think they are already mentioned elsewhere. I also acknowledge that this was on the todo list for 3.x before this tracker was set up. I do hope this conversation will assist the developers in shaping this part of Reaper to be the best it can be.

Lastly, this is not a request for video editing features in Reaper. If that is what you want then please create a new and separate feature request.

* I would like to include feature matched video support for the Mac port as an important addition to the list, (I can't believe I forgot that).
Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Popular Request
Priority 3
Suggested Version 3.05
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 198
Users who would not use this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-18-2009 05:43 PM

-edited on January 4th 2010-

We now have a discussion thread for this feature request, which is partially done, but as of yet has no video-follows-edit-operations features implemented.

The discussion thread is here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=49458

----------------
I'd to illustrate which features Reaper should have for working with video on top of what it does now, which is very little as of v3.05. The video not only needs to run and seek well, but the following things are needed as well. This demo is made with Camtasia 3.02 and Protools, the most used tool for audio to picture at this time.

Since a GIF of running video is staggeringley huge and ugly, here is one version uploaded to Youtube:

=edit=

Uploaded to Youtube. Good quality too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBC8gGlfSRA

In case you're wondering, the video I used in the demo is a title sequence of a show I work on, and used the format Quicktime - PhotoJPEG codec, 512x288, 25 fps, produced with QuicktimePro.

All actions are performed with a snapping frame grid active. Only the audio scrub gets you cursor positions not on the frame grid.

00:00 - 00:14 === Moving the item scrubs the video
00:14 - 00:24 === Moving/nudging the edit cursor scrubs the video instantly. The same applies to moving items with actions.
00:26 - 00:38 === Trimming the edges with the mouse scrubs the video
00:38 - 00:50 === Making an area or time selection scrubs the video
00:50 - 01:00 === Scrubbing the audio scrubs the video
01:00 - 01:17 === Fading in and out with the mouse scrubs the video

All these actions are necessary to locate and verify things quickly. Single clicks for everything are just about as cumbersome as they come. Even analog video tape was faster than that.

These are minimum requirements.
07-21-2009 09:09 AM

All I can say is that this is all very important to me.

I have tried the Reaper demo for a week or two and really liked it. I was almost convinced to buy the program until I tried using it for a project that required me to do sound to picture (usually I work for games so this does not always happen). The lack of proper support for video completely turned me off and has been the sole reason why I am waiting with purchasing Reaper.

Apart from that, absolutely a great program and great community.
07-21-2009 02:47 PM

oh yes, this is on top of my list! please Reaper crew, we need f-r-a-m-e-s when we scrub :)
07-22-2009 12:58 PM

I do post and still have to use nuendo and personally i can't wait to sell it! :) so count me in on the vote!

Being able to have nuendo's "edit mode" where i can move anything horizontally and see the video update is a must :)
07-22-2009 01:13 PM

I'd like to add: please fix the bug with wrong display of aspect ratio(when not 4:3).

I agree with the rest EXCEPT video encoding. That's a major, gigantic even, can of worm that, frankly, doesn't need to be in an app like Reaper. If you need rendering/encoding of video, use an NLE, that's why they're there.
07-22-2009 01:16 PM

I can only agree on the video encoding feature. It would be good to have, but let's get the video stuff we absolutley need for our work first.
07-22-2009 01:28 PM

Forgot to add:

Overlay of timecode in the video preview window.

I understand there's a big clock thing, but that isn't very useful when the video window is full screen on a secondary monitor.
07-23-2009 02:27 PM

I'd like to see all these features (especially the video scrubbing from PT) but thing is, I get my projects from the cutter in OMF format, and as long Reaper has no native reliable OMF-import function I'm stuck with Nuendo/PT. I'm aware of the OMF-plugin someone did, but last time I checked it didn't work properly for me.
Not trying to hijack this thead, just wondering how you guys do audio post without relying on OMF/AAF-import.
07-23-2009 02:48 PM

I'm so happy to come back from vacation and see all these really great opinions on video support. Happy because this attention garners attention from our talented developers.

I put the export request up last because it's not high a priority. To me it's looking to the future and I stand by it as being useful. Although we don't get the request really often just yet let me ask how many directors/supervisors have walked into your studio with an iphone/ipod and played you the latest cuts/example scenes from CGI or Editing? Again, I'm not saying it's a priority but the time will come that they'll want to play our scenes on their little screen.

Nofish, I can't speak for everyone here but I (and a few others) use external tools like EDL Convert Pro/SSL ProConvert and AATranslator to go back and forth between applications.
07-23-2009 05:52 PM

+1 million for this

no need for encoding, there are enough software for that.

Moving an item and seeing the video at exact time code is necessary.

Actually the absolute best is to create a sync point in the item and then when moving the item the timecode of video is synchronise with the sync point, so you can easily, put a sound (or a part of a sound) in perfect sync with the video.
07-23-2009 06:43 PM

+1 a lot!!!

This would be one of the few semi-major things for me to be %100 Reaper all the time.
07-23-2009 07:01 PM

I relent then. I would rather the request not be clouded by a debate on this peripheral item. Export is certainly not needed at the current time.

The video should sync to the sync point when moving and the edges when resizing. What should it do with a group of selected items?
07-24-2009 04:08 AM

Left edge of the selected items is probably the best option.

Mim, the function you describe is similar to what Fairlight workstations have always used. You click on the item, and the position at which you clicked on the item will attach the item to the mouse/edit/play cursor. The user would then move the mouse/edit/play cursor and the item would stay with it. The video would scrub at the mouse/edit/play cursor. Another click would release the item.

This is a slightly more efficient method than placing sync points and moving and snapping items to a location. Reaper can already do the move and snap thing, but does not do the 'attach-to-mouse/edit/play-cursor' thing yet.
07-24-2009 04:23 AM

Yes that's the way, I meant it.

Thank you to improve my own thoughts, airon.

BTW : I have another idea :

Clicking on left part of item will scrub the video from left edge
Clicking on right part of item will scrub the video from right edge
07-24-2009 04:39 AM

-edit-

I misread. An interesting idea Mim.

-edit2-

In fact now that I've had time think it over, it sounds like a great idea to me. If the item becomes too small as you zoom out, the default would need to be the beginning of the item I suggest.
07-24-2009 09:42 AM

+1. I write mostly to picture and mostly with midi & samples, no post work. Nuendo works well for me but it's still a slog, mostly :D I would be quite happy make a leaper to reaper some day.

Jim
07-25-2009 07:32 AM

A big +1 to all of plush2's points (except the video export, that's what NLEs are for)
07-25-2009 05:41 PM

1)If we are in BIG zoom we better have to consider the item as it appears on screen :

left side of apparent item will move video from left edge
right side of apparent item will move video from right edge

So you can be in a big zoom, and move the item, and show the video as you want, otherwise you'll be stuck with left edge or right edge sync

2)If we are in zoom out, as you said airon, left edge will be default

3)If there is a "mouse/edit/play point", video will be show at "mouse/edit/play"
08-02-2009 02:17 PM

Give it Eucon Pro support please!!
08-02-2009 02:25 PM

Do not forget to vote mate.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue