Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

Create Cue Bus Issue Tools
issueid=967 08-16-2009 06:20 AM
Human being with feelings
Create Cue Bus
Auto create cue bus

Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Arcana
Status Popular Request
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version 3.102
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 86
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-16-2009 07:02 AM

A lot smarter than what anyone else has. All engies will love this function. The dream for fast headphone mix creation.
08-16-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
A lot smarter than what anyone else has. All engies will love this function. The dream for fast headphone mix creation.
It actually looks identical to what PTHD (not LE) has had for many years.

It also looks like a freakin' awesome idea, and from my untutored perspective maybe not too difficult to implement. This is the sort of thing that engineers want - bassist: "Can I get my own headphone mix?" engineer: [click click click] "There you go - what do you want changed?".

*Huge* +1 to this workflow godsend.
08-16-2009 07:32 PM

08-16-2009 08:12 PM

Lawrence, the only thing I'd add to this FR is to ask why we should bother creating a track called "Cue" when Reaper can create it for us after we click "Create Cue Bus From Selected Channels"?

:D
08-17-2009 09:18 AM

That's exactly what that function will do.

And editing the headphone mix is easy inside the I/O window of the Cue Bus Track. Perhaps it should open up for minute adjustments, and the Cue Bus Track should be selected too.
08-17-2009 09:40 AM

This is a workflow feature that potentially would be used by nearly *every* engineer on virtually any session that contained more than a single musician - creating cue mixes is a studio fundamental. I can see this being very well received.
08-17-2009 09:48 AM

Agree. Very useful feature.

In the meantime I do this with track templates and it works real good (a full Project Template for recording with several tracks hidden and waiting to be unleashed :) )
08-17-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg
Lawrence, the only thing I'd add to this FR is to ask why we should bother creating a track called "Cue" when Reaper can create it for us after we click "Create Cue Bus From Selected Channels"?

:D
The FR has the function doing that too, creating the track and naming it. Sorry if it wasn't clear in the original post. Clicking that menu item would do all of that stuff listed in the text box.

Make the track, name it, route to it and then open it's routing dialog for manual assignment to hardware outs. (and tweaks to the balances for custom cue mixes)

Obviously it wouldn't be much different than the automatic VSTI routing function already there, just additionally copying fader and pan levels from the source track to the sends.
08-17-2009 10:39 AM

EDIT: Lawrence's answer came when i was typing. Never mind.
08-17-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi
Here are some additional ideas for this great feature:
- auto create cue track (like kerryg wrote)
- automatically set the sends to the cue track to 'pre fader' in the sending tracks
- automatically match the send levels with the fader levels in the sending tracks to have a basic setup that can be tweaked quickly instead of ugly 'everything @0dB'
Those last two are the whole point of the FR. It *has* to copy the mix from the faders and set the sends to PF, or else whatever else it's doing - it ain't automatically setting up a cuemix for you :D
08-17-2009 01:27 PM

Wonderful to watch you "serious guys",cooking together nice new ideas.I am sure your catching the attention of the Reaper Crew.
What your suggesting is excellent!!!!
08-20-2009 03:39 AM

excellent. however, for now and for years so far, you can set up a post fader post fx four (or however many, i usually need 4) channel aux send slider set per track as a blank project to start anyway, with (four) receive tracks, set everyones send sliders to unity (same as my mix) and go from there, in reaper or in cubase.

but this would allow me to start with my current mix without these sends set up, and build headphone mixes from there, ie sometimes i start by saying 'we'll all use the master out as our mix' then someone starts wanting a different mix, i could do a post fader set of aux sends, but this makes it faster.

but why pre fader 'settings-matched' sends when a set of unity-set post fader sends WILL match those pan and levels? ...usually we all want to hear the same basic headphone mix, post fader so that we all want the mix to shift as the multi tracks build up, but IE guitar player always wants a little 'more me' regardless... see?
08-20-2009 03:01 PM

Evanrappy, most people require a headphone mix different from your own control mix, especially when it comes to their own signal and effects.

Lawrence, what about a submenu on the function that lists the Hardware Outs ?

Another alternative is to present a small dialogue box that details the stuff some folks might want to do such as:

Copy Fader Levels, Pan and Mute to Send
Copy Fader Levels, Pan and Mute Automation to Send

Create Hardware Out Send on Target Track
<dropdown box for Hardware Out Send>

The inspiration for such a dialogue comes from Logic 9 that did such a great job expanding the Apply-FX Stuff they cleverly borrowed from us.
08-20-2009 04:55 PM

Would it be affected (the cue track) by muting and soloing the other tracks?
08-20-2009 07:05 PM

Bogo, they would. Mute closes down the entire track. It's not a classic mute switch, AFAIK. Maybe that's changed. Try it :) .
10-05-2009 05:45 AM

to clarify, you can set up post fader aux sends. then they all are copying the current track pan/fader, yes,

but also these ARE sends, so you can change the level for each musician. i tend to find that the changes needed are level adjustments, allowed by this setup. IE yes they want a different mix but its always been level changes not 'i dont like that eq' or sonething detailed like that. their used to only having a dry mix for monitoring where all they GET is level adjustment per track.

also, i set up my own post fader sends set on bypass so i can 'solo' by shift click any track without effecting anyone elses mix.
10-05-2009 06:08 PM

This is a good idea.

I think Cockos is not going to implement a new type of cue channel when the whole idea of Reaper is any channel can do anything, but auto building cue tracks from channels and implementing this maybe...
- "The sends to this channel are not affected by solos (and/or mutes)".
- "Toggle: Preview this track using the master outputs".
...I think would do the trick.

And as I said in another post having horizontal mixers where you don't have to scroll that much when you click the I/O button and "Hide the sends going to this channel in the mixer view" to keep the main mixer clean would be nice too.
10-05-2009 06:21 PM

just to clarify: theres no need for a new channel type at all, just more options per channel, yes.

and:
- "The sends to this channel are not affected by solos (and/or mutes)".
- "Toggle: Preview this track using the master outputs".

well, #1 yes, but it needs to be per send, set in the send dailogue right? it could also be an option on the sends for for pre fader pre mute/solo, post fader pre mute/solo, pre fx pre mute/solo.

the second one: whats 'toggle' IE the track is always previewed using master outs if its assigned there.

i believe the clarification would be that we need a right click solo or new 'listen' button that sends to a separate hardware out. this clears up all these solo/mute options, and it has been in cubase forever. this IS a cue mix this way. the right click would hold regardless of whether the regular click solo was active or not, as well.

see, the second solo function would always be a 'sends not affected' function without having to set per send.
10-07-2009 06:16 AM

This actually might be a good one to ask SWS to code in to the extension. I'll put up a thread in the General forum. Maybe it's easier this way.

-edit-
Request posted here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43935
10-07-2009 06:05 PM

[edit out stuff as per below] oh, well adding a possible solution to the FR is valid however:

here is a possible solution to what this thread is asking: custom actions for all send functions. the right custom actions would cover this request and many more possibilities.
10-07-2009 07:26 PM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrabby
isnt this the right approach to solve what this thread is asking
Except this isn't a discussion thread but a more than noisy issue tracker FR. Discussions and rants are supposed to happen in the forums, not here. I'm leaving this for 24hrs so you can copy and paste it into the forums before I delete it. Thanks.
10-08-2009 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork
Except this isn't a discussion thread but a more than noisy issue tracker FR. Discussions and rants are supposed to happen in the forums, not here. I'm leaving this for 24hrs so you can copy and paste it into the forums before I delete it. Thanks.
Moved here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...237#post385237.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue