Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

"ghost items"... - the bad kind Issue Tools
issueid=2691 07-03-2010 12:40 PM
Human being with feelings
"ghost items"... - the bad kind

http://beatbybit.com/reaper/test-ghost-item-003.zip

there are no visible item labels after loading this session.

* go to 17.1.00, move item on track 2 to track 1 (item label pops up)
* zoom in fully at 17.1.00 - no item visible there at all.
* marquee select the area around 17.1.00 on track 2 and delete the "nothing"
* move item from track 1 to track 2 = item label visible.

another test:

reload the session, then

* carefully select all the 4 items at their end
* remove the items from the timeline (no items visible in the session then)
* open Media Pool = it says there are 4 items in the session/on the timeline

they arent visible at all if zoomed in fully

http://beatbybit.com/reaper/ghost-item-002.swf
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Cannot Reproduce
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.63
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 1
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-03-2010 01:25 PM

Easily reproduced.

Further investigation shows there are items with negative length (-0:00.013) at 17.1.00.

Some grid and zoom settings prevents those from being displayed, but setting grid line under items definitely helps seeing them.

- Mario
07-03-2010 05:06 PM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

The deciding question is what you did to create these items. Mercado_Negro says he's just loop-recording for extended time and then they appear sometimes. What was your recipe?
07-03-2010 10:19 PM
Human being with feelings

i dont know how i did these, really.

Mabian said it happens on simple split too (random)

are you sure Mercado has the same bug? i have approx 1 sample long, _visible_ "ghost" items many times - but this is something new.. items with negative lenght that make label text disappear on the items on top of them?

(if you have multiple items on top of eachother, they dont make the label text disappear)
07-04-2010 11:06 AM

I've seen these tiny items before but I've never found a good recipe to reproduce them. I was talking to Steindork about an issue that's probably related to this. If you set your project to Record: Normal mode, create a loop, enable repeat and record several times you'll see the first item in the looped section doesn't start exactly at the loop. Maybe this is what happened there in your project, dunno. How did you record those takes? What record mode were using? Did you split those takes at time selection or something?
07-04-2010 11:40 AM

One easy way to have 0 length items is ctrl-dragging to create a MIDI item, dragging to the right until the item gets a size then dragging back item start (all without releasing mouse button). Depending on zoom level and grid settings, you can end up with a zero length item. You have to set grid "under items" to see those items generally, or just turn off grid visibility.

Don't know about audio items though.

- Mario

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue