Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Allow multiple Rewire plugin instances which effectively link to the same slave (for cleaner routing) Issue Tools
issueid=421 07-01-2009 04:21 AM
Mobile
Allow multiple Rewire plugin instances which effectively link to the same slave (for cleaner routing)
At the moment we have to allocate a track to hold a Rewire plug in instance and route internally. Users of Reason, for example, would benefit greatly from a different approach where multiple plugin instances can talk to the same slave (via a handler)

To me, Reason has always felt fiddly to use in REAPER because if you want to:
1) send MIDI from a number of REAPER tracks
and
2) receive the audio from different Reason devices on individual REAPER tracks

..you need to route everything internally in REAPER via a track with a single plugin instance, which itself cannot be muted (and at this stage we have no solo defeat to prevent this happening).

Inserting additional plugin instances does nothing at the moment. Couldn't it instead show a list of the available MIDI/Audio "pins" to and from the slave and just communicate through some shared Rewire handler?

At the moment to send MIDI to & receive audio from a Reason device we have to:
1) set up the MIDI & Audio in Reason
2) check which channel corresponds to each of these in the REAPER Rewire plugin instance
3) Set routing from our Reason MIDI track
4) Set routing to our Reason Audio track

Being able to insert a "Reason" instance on the MIDI & Audio tracks and telling them their role would seem a lot cleaner!

Thanks

Discussion thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=89070
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.05
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 34
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags ReWire

07-01-2009 05:02 AM
Human being with feelings

It would be great to have deeper Reaper/Reason integration via Rewire. However, try my template... I think it pretty works well especially if you use the accompanying rns file, to get going immediately.

here ya go
07-01-2009 06:16 AM
Mobile

SiKo - a template is useful until you want to add sends & receives ad hoc.. and of course the problem of soloing other tracks cutting the output of the track with the Rewire plugin still remains.

Hoping we can get improved functionality rather than workarounds though!
07-01-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:
To me, Reason has always felt fiddly to use in REAPER because if you want to:
1) send MIDI from a number of REAPER tracks
and
2) receive the audio from different Reason devices on individual REAPER tracks
I think this is a one time hassle once you have a track template

Quote:
..you need to route everything internally in REAPER via a track with a single plugin instance, which itself cannot be muted (and at this stage we have no solo defeat to prevent this happening).
You can hide the reason-plug track (check my template if you haven't done so) from the mixer, so solo-ing another track doesn't stop the reason sound coming in.

Quote:
Inserting additional plugin instances does nothing at the moment. Couldn't it instead show a list of the available MIDI/Audio "pins" to and from the slave and just communicate through some shared Rewire handler?
Again, nicer, deeper, integration with Reason would be terrific!

Quote:
At the moment to send MIDI to & receive audio from a Reason device we have to:
1) set up the MIDI & Audio in Reason
You only have to setup audio routing in Reason, also a reason template is a one time hassle and is no different than rewiring to other hosts.

Quote:
2) check which channel corresponds to each of these in the REAPER Rewire plugin instance
3) Set routing from our Reason MIDI track
4) Set routing to our Reason Audio track
Yeah, you need to setup midi TO reason and audio FROM reason (one time hassle if you work with the templates)

Quote:
Being able to insert a "Reason" instance on the MIDI & Audio tracks and telling them their role would seem a lot cleaner!
Maybe one day, but /me thinks that the current architecture of Reaper does not allow for such an integration, but I might (I hope to) be dumbfound one day (in the not so distant future?!)

Anyway, in the mean time, try this version (and also download the song reason template for immediate gratification):

http://shup.com/Shup/180062/Reason-R...RTrackTemplate
http://stashbox.org/v/546685/Rewired...2-channels.rns
07-01-2009 04:21 PM

I dont use Reason but i do use Rewire heavily and yes this would be ultimate uefulness
Track templates are OK if you only want one setup but considering the ammount of differing set ups i use with rewire that is not a possibilty i'm afraid

NAS
07-02-2009 02:46 AM

Well, I see that for every setup with rewire, you need to something in the host (=Reaper) and in the slave (=e.g. Reason).

The things you need to do in Reaper are almost but a few things containable into a template (you still need to route midi and auto) and the things you need to do in the slave is to route audio ...

If this could be done via a single point and click inside the track i/o it would be awesome ... but so far a template (for both reaper and reason) saves me a lot of work every time i want to use reaper with reason.
07-03-2009 10:27 AM
Mobile

The problem with a template (for me) is that starting with a track for each device (whether are not you will you use it) is cluttered and often I want to just add one or two devices to an existing project rather than having a standard arrangement.

I just feel an independent line of communication to & from the slave for each MIDI or Audio we route (even if it's just visual and stays the same behind the scenes) would feel cleaner & faster.
09-05-2009 04:15 AM

We definately need more votes for this FR.

Here's a simple mock-up of how things might look like with enhanced Rewire support.

and

09-07-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo
We definately need more votes for this FR.

Here's a simple mock-up of how things might look like with enhanced Rewire support.

and

Looks nice. This would also solve the 16 midi channel limit that exists right now.

Rewire is quite nicely solved in the upcoming Presonus Studio one. Draggin' an instrument e.g. a rewire instrumment makes it "active" and creates a track.

However, within every track you create you can choose the instrument from a dropdown including all active instruments and in the case of rewire you can choose the device from a second dropdown.

I think this is pretty near to your drawings.
11-11-2009 06:27 AM

Any improvements in Rewire (particularly for Reason) will get my vote every time

I would like to see Reason automation exposed via rewire. I have given up on Rewire for the moment because I keep winding up with some of my project in each of the Reaper and Reason projects. You know volume automation for example is in Reaper, device automation sits inside Reason. Messy messy messy

If I could get all the midi and automation inside Reaper then I could leave Reason's sequencer view closed forever, and um, ya, abandon Reason's mixer in favour of direct hardware out to Reaper.

I kinda like Live's rewire implementation of Rewire (At least for Reason) where as I recall the devices almost appear VST-ish inside Live

EDIT:
Ok fired up my live 8 (that came with my Remote SL) and while it doesn't expose the interface of a specific Reason device, in the automation parameters I can get access to all the automation parameters that I can inside Reason.
11-11-2009 07:33 AM
Mobile

Yep - it is messy and a lot of people don't realise the effect that muting the track containing that single Reason instance will have, for example.

I'm not familiar with the Live implementation, but I do think the link should feel more like using a rack of external hardware. That is, everything is routed in & out straight to track inserts/sends rather than via a single point with further inter-track routing required.

Basically if I have a track using 4 Reason devices then I'd like to be able to put a Reason plugin on each track in REAPER and tell each one which return channels to route to the track. If the MIDI is happening in REAPER then similarly each sending track could have an instance pointed via a plugin instance - or, maybe, even as a MIDI Output device which sends to the Rewire slave?

It's about making it consistent & comfortable with none of those hidden complications which can totally throw you out of creative mood!
11-15-2009 12:42 PM

12-14-2009 03:06 PM

Better rewire would be absolutly great. More Midichannels (ports?) for rewiring Reason / Record would improve Reaper a lot. 64 Audiochannels but only 16 midi channels do not match to the overall quality of Reaper.
12-15-2009 10:40 PM

It looks I have a related problem, look here
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48535

Different situation, same solution (more ReWire ports please).
12-18-2009 09:26 PM

Count me in. I use up nearly all the channels just by doing some semi-advanced Miroslav mapping.
12-19-2009 12:38 AM
Mobile

Just for clarification this FR would not extend the available channels between REAPER and the slave, but would mean that instead only having one point of communication (that plugin instance on one track which has to be routed internally to each & every other track).

It would allow us to add an instance of the plugin on any track that should send to or receive from the slave and allow us to decide its role.

In other words it would present a cleaner, more flexible view and do its routing behind the scenes to a single point that doesn't even need to be visible.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue