Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

Midi notes move when switching from inline to normal display (zoomed in)) Issue Tools
issueid=3555 08-27-2011 01:22 PM
Human being with feelings
Midi notes move when switching from inline to normal display (zoomed in))
Midi notes move when switching from inline to normal display (zoomed in)

I've dynamically split a kick drum track and created chromatic MIDI from slices. I then make use of the inline midi editor to set all note properties to the same note. I then hide all unused rows and switch to diamond style midi.

Now, I zoom in close and tab to transient on the audio file of the kick drum; manually moving the midi notes to their exact positions.

Once the midi notes are perfect I use ReaSamplOmatic5000 to trigger samples.

The position of the moved midi notes change when you switch back to normal midi view. Even if you then switch back to the inline editor the notes have all moved. Very slightly, but they've moved.

I've set the track and item time bases to time and I've even tried locking the track, but the midi notes still move.

Looking forward to your response.
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 3
Affected Version 4.01
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-27-2011 03:28 PM

When you say they have moved, do you mean that you can see that the diamond MIDI shape has moved in relation to the audio sample plot, like as you zoom out you can see it move either left or right of the kick audio transient?

It may be that it just appears to have moved because of the big change in zoom scale, and the low resolution on the audio peak file.

If that is the case, you can try in Preferences > Media settings > Waveform media peak caching settings 'Desired cache resolution' [set this to 900]

Then under the main menu Option > Peaks > Rebuild all peaks.

You may then find that the MIDI notes don't appear to move on the change in zoom.

[reset cache resolution back to the default, unless you want to collect 3x larger reapeaks files]
08-27-2011 03:59 PM

I suggest opening the Midi event list (Alt+3 when you have the normal Midi editor open) and check if the positions of the notes really move or if it's a graphical glitch.
08-31-2011 04:15 AM

Huge thank you for the response.

Will revert with feedback by the end of this week.

C
09-24-2011 07:32 AM

Ok. As suggested by Hamish, I set the media peak cache resolution to 900 and rebuilt all peaks. When closing the inline midi editor the midi note still moved.

When I then reopen the inline midi editor, to check whether the note moved, the midi note had indeed moved there as well.

As suggested by 'nofish' I then opened the built-in editor and the inline midi editor. When I moved the note to the snare transient using either editor, the other reflected the move.

When closing the inline editor, the note moved. When I then checked both the inline and built-in midi editors, the notes had moved.

So, in short, the notes really do move when closing the inline editor.

I'm gonna try not closing the inline editor. Will revert back with result.
09-25-2011 12:18 PM

When I don't close the inline midi editor the midi notes do not move. Problem is that when I close the project and reopen, by default, the inline midi editor is closed. So, I can't revisit at a later stage.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue