Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Assignable Project Key feature for Media Explorer Issue Tools
issueid=728 07-27-2009 12:11 PM
Human being with feelings
Assignable Project Key feature for Media Explorer
An assignable Project Key in the Media Explorer would allow any melodic loops to auto pitch to the correct key of the project

With an assignable "Project Key" option in REAPER's "Media Explorer" any previewed melodic acid loops could seamlessly be pitch shifted to match the key of any given project. Ideally this Media Explorer "Project key" parameter (Starting at key "C" and going up to "B" with an option to have no key and then the loops would play at their default key)and would be adjustable in realtime.
In ACID there is a "Project Key" so any melodic acid loops (except for drum/percussion loops which are not embedded with default pitch information)
previewed from the Media Explorer auto match the given project key. Now REAPER does not have an assignable Project Key per se, but what would work is having the ability to assign a key in the Media Explorer that only affects loops previewed from it. As a songwriter, I usually know what key my project is in and having the ability to assign the Media Explorer to play loops at a given key would be a real time saver when previewing tons of melodic loops while a project plays back.
In the Media Explorer there could be a dropdown box where you select the project key: C, D, E, F, G, A, B & "No Key" (which would be the default).
Loops would then be pitch shifted to that "Project Key" using the pitch shift algo selected in the "Project Settings". In most cases the "elastique 2 efficient" would be the best choice.

This would be a useful ACID like feature to have in REAPER!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.06
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 15
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-27-2009 01:17 PM

elastiqie 2 pro would be the best choice. it's pretty low on cpu.
12-17-2011 05:09 PM

I haven't seen this request articulated as well as the poster of this message has, but I've been a long time ACID and Reaper user and this feature is the only thing preventing me from making the jump entirely. I have a vast library of over 100GB of ACID loops, almost all of which have the key of the loop encoded in them. If I were able to audition loops as a particular key, I cannot stress how much that would increase the usability of Reaper for me. Currently in Reaper it is a manual tweak each time I audition a loop to hear it in the correct key, and it was completely automatic within ACID.

A recap of the feature request in my own words: If I know the song I'm working in is "D", I would like to enable auditioning loops in a key in the media explorer, and to select they key of "D". Reaper would then automatically pitch shift the playback of played loops by the appropriate amount of semitones to reach "D" if (and only if) the loop contains ACID pitch data. Additionally, if playing of loops in key was enabled and I add media to my project, they'll be pitch shifted the same amount as it was during preview.
05-07-2015 02:43 PM

Hey, what gives? I am subscribed to this ticket and got a couple of notifications that others had replied in the last couple of weeks. I was a bit surprised myself, to be honest, but now their comments seem to be removed. I know I've been enthusiastic in the past on this issue to the point of being annoying, but I assure the mods the recent interest had nothing to do with me, check your logs.
05-07-2015 02:46 PM

Discussions don't belong to the tracker.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue