Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

'highlight sends of selected track' Issue Tools
issueid=711 07-26-2009 12:11 AM
Human being with feelings
'highlight sends of selected track'
Easy to trace sends in busy projects

'highlight sends of selected track' On/Off

lets make a real time test, watch these 2 pictures 1 by 1 and trace the sends:

No highlight:
http://img6.**************/img6/9952/nohighlights.png

Highlight: (note-I trust cockos's graphic designer to make it fit better)
http://img43.**************/img43/9055/highlights.png

Order of operations to increase/edit sends while 'highlight sends of selected track' is set to [OFF]:
  • 1. Read track sends 1 by 1
    2. trace them 1 by 1, while your eyes pass through few irelevant tracks.
    3. after you trace a send, you check what is in this send, to see if you want to increase/decrease vol for this send.
    4. repeat step 3 untill you find the right send...(
    5. increase/edit this send...

side note- if you want to see how all the 5 sends work simultaneously, you will need to reorder them...else it is impossible for the eyes.

Order of operations to increase/edit sends while 'highlight sends of selected track' is set to [ON]:
  • 1. since you see all sends of selected track simultaneously, watch which one of the highlighted sends has the effect that you want to increase/edit.
    2. increase/edit this send...

PS-It should be optionally: 'highlight sends of selected track' set to On/Off
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version 3.06
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 27
Users who would not use this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-26-2009 04:55 AM

I really don't think this would be clear enough when you've got huge projects. You've got one track sending to a bunch of other tracks. But what about when you've got multiple tracks sending and recieving from each other - everything will then be highlighted, and it will not be clear.
07-26-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience
I really don't think this would be clear enough when you've got huge projects. You've got one track sending to a bunch of other tracks. But what about when you've got multiple tracks sending and recieving from each other - everything will then be highlighted, and it will not be clear.
only first-relation should be highlighted, if you need to see further connections, you will click on the send!

anyway, how would you do it without highlighted sends? by reading everything 1 by 1?! you can read with highlight too, just that with highlighted sends you will get a x100 faster insight of where are the things that you should actually read, without highlights you have to read numbers/names that has nothing to do with you selected track untill you trace what you want to trace...
07-26-2009 06:45 AM

Infact I think that it will be best if there will be 2 options to tick (first relation only for both):

Right click in the mixer:

1.highlight 'sends to'
2.highlight 'receives from'

if non ticked = no highlights.

(receives/sends may have separate colors, colors including transparency/alpha-level will be editable from: Preferences->Appearance->Theme )
07-26-2009 06:50 PM

Nice idea. I'm for highlighting both sent-to and receiving-from track.

Select a track, and you know fairly quickly where its signals are going and coming from just at a glance, as long as the other tracks are visible somehow.
07-26-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience
?
how could this not be a good thing.
i use heaps of tracks with sends n returns everywhere and tracking them down can sometimes take ages. If i could click on one and see where they all hook up it would make it heaps easy to remember and see what im doing.
07-27-2009 06:52 AM

No colors, just highlight (the color of selected tracks).
08-14-2009 12:47 PM

Actually I like this idea http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=40959 so much better.

I revoke my yes vote.
08-14-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
Actually I like this idea http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=40959 so much better.

I revoke my yes vote.
I'm nutral in this case...

I just want a good visual sense to trace sends/recieve, both ways seems practical/useful for me.
08-14-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
No colors, just highlight (the color of selected tracks).
I would use outline instead of colors for this.

- Mario
08-14-2009 06:27 PM

what about 'select sends of current track' ? then you could hide unselected etc etc - would that work?
08-21-2009 05:49 PM

logic has an awesome solution for this:
control>click on the send, and it shows the channels recieve channel ...

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue