Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Envelopes for CC automation Issue Tools
issueid=246 06-22-2009 04:05 AM
Human being with feelings
Envelopes for CC automation
Nameable envelopes mapped directly to MIDI CC messages, not to VSTi parameters

Short version:
Having nameable envelopes mapped directly to MIDI CC messages would help me a lot.
-------------------

Longer version:
Some VST(i)s expose only some of their control parameters for automation. Other parameters can be controlled by CC messages. SampleTank 2.5 from IK Multimedia is a good example. For each channel there are 6 parameters available, but 4 of these depend on the "Macro" control facility being used by the sounds programmer. By contrast, each channel has over 600 parameters that could be controlled by MIDI CC messsages.

At the moment I can control any of the parameters by using the "MIDI Ctl" function in ST2.5 to select them and entering MIDI events in the MIDI Part Editor.

But:
- if you have CC messages with different CC#s or on different channels you cannot easily distinguish them in the main track view or the MIDI Editor
- it is all too easy to forget which ones are automated, unless you go into the ST2.5 "MIDI Ctl" window again.

So, my FR is:
a) select which MIDI CC is to be displayed in the main track view from a drop-down list [see the mock-up],
b) create envelopes to control any CC on any MIDI channel
c) rename those envelopes, for example from "Ch03 CC 074" to "Piano Cutoff"
d) rename the MIDI CC views in the MIDI Editor,

Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/2PZkH.png

While I am here, I think it would be better if the envelope point labels were reformatted to be displayed on two lines (and with the text "Envelope:" dropped) [see the mock-up].

[orignal FR thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=19632 ]

This FR is related: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23675
"Now that we have integrated MIDI note naming, it would be great if we could also name CC message lanes (and load and save .txt files containing a list of CC names)."
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 23
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags Automation, CC, Envelope

06-22-2009 05:23 AM

I guess this would be one step forward from the current primitive CC editing scheme. I think there should be some kind of selectable resolution how frequently the cc will be updated.

One problem of this kind of (inline) solution is that it's more difficult to do precise editing when you need to automate cc within single midi notes. At least you need huge zoom levels, which are (imho) better achieved inside the midi editor view.

But yes, anything that would improve the current situation is very welcome!
07-08-2009 06:25 AM

In addition it would be nice if there was an option to autmatically only view CC's with data recorded to them. Most often when I work with external synths I record for example a cutoff sweep, but I dont know which CC number that is so I have to browse through all CC numbers to find it.
07-13-2009 03:55 AM

I like envelope editing the CCs. I'd put them in CC lanes instead of inline editor, though.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue