Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Too much information and visual noise Issue Tools
issueid=2819 08-04-2010 05:43 AM
Human being with feelings
Too much information and visual noise
Too little simplicity, too much unnecessary info/brain-waste

Suggestions on fixing the brainclutter:

* remove author descriptions from VST displays by default
* No mouseover popups when hovering (add option)
* Auto-float new fx windows on by default
* Show only quicklist for right-click plugin selection
* Make all menus as simple and context-based as possible
* Make more complicated menus available for experienced users
* Reduce duplicated functionality in the interface
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Duplicate
Priority 6
Affected Version 3.651
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-04-2010 05:49 AM

Disable "Get VST names/types when scanning". Press "Clear cache/re-scan". You now have the names of DLL files instead.

You can disable this already. Properties->Appearance->uncheck both "Tooltips" checkboxes.

Hm... not sure about that. It would hide the FX chain functionality from the user.

* Show only quicklist for right-click plugin selection

Again, no, I'd like to have my FX chains there as well. What exactly do you have in mind? Pictures help.

* Make all menus as simple and context-based as possible

Changes will be done in v4.

* Make more complicated menus available for experienced users

This is already a feature request.

* Reduce duplicated functionality in the interface

Changes will be done in v4, as I figure.
08-04-2010 06:15 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions, but some of this already exists (as noted above) and the rest is duplicating existing feature requests. No offense, but I'm going to close this ticket as a duplicate. If there are specific things you'd like to discuss, the user forum would be the place for that.
08-04-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon

Disable "Get VST names/types when scanning". Press "Clear cache/re-scan". You now have the names of DLL files instead.
Using VST folders this shows the name of the folder next to each and every individual plugin, at all times, making this option (currently) even worse visually.

Quote:

You can disable this already. Properties->Appearance->uncheck both "Tooltips" checkboxes.
Thanks!

Quote:

Hm... not sure about that. It would hide the FX chain functionality from the user.
Well that info's still available by left-clicking, and to be honest the mixer-view of effects (when enabled) is far more usable in actual work.

To be honest, it took me 3 weeks to get the basics of Logic audio when I started, 30 minutes to get the basics of Tracktion, and it's taking me months to get my head around reaper, so I know they can do it better.

Masses of functionality - fine - just hide it well, and within reach.
08-04-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis
Using VST folders this shows the name of the folder next to each and every individual plugin, at all times, making this option (currently) even worse visually.
You can rename the plugins however you want, so that's not a problem. Just select the plugin and press F2.

Quote:
Masses of functionality - fine - just hide it well, and within reach.
I'm not sure I can agree with this. That Reaper possibly could have several modes of operation ("Easy", "Intermediate", "Expert"), which would change menu complexity and similar stuff, yes. But actually "hiding it well", isn't something I'd like for Reaper to do.
08-04-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:
You can rename the plugins however you want, so that's not a problem. Just select the plugin and press F2.
If you've got < 20 plugins, maybe. And time to waste.

Quote:
I'm not sure I can agree with this. That Reaper possibly could have several modes of operation ("Easy", "Intermediate", "Expert"), which would change menu complexity and similar stuff, yes. But actually "hiding it well", isn't something I'd like for Reaper to do.
Well, that's a matter of perspective. Hiding functionality is absolutely necessary from my point of view. That's what a right-click menu is. It's hidden functionality because the options aren't visible all of the time. That's the definition, in fact.
See ya-
M
08-04-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:
If you've got < 20 plugins, maybe. And time to waste.
Got over 100. And got time. :D
08-04-2010 07:18 AM

Fair enough, I don't :-)
m

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue