Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Plugin issue *CRASH* when looping Issue Tools
issueid=541 07-12-2009 04:03 PM
Human being with feelings
Plugin issue *CRASH* when looping
problems with certain plugins whilst looping. Crash happens directly after a loop.

you can find my posting of this bug here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...hlight=looping

certain plugins, apparently amplitube Xgear (more likely the culprit), and pro-53 seem to have major issues with looping.

could this be a problem in reaper, or just the plugin? I do not know.

however, this has been fully reproducible for me on my end.

here is how you do it:

Load amplitube xgear in one track.

get a relatively fast tempo in order to exacerbate the problem.

record a segment at least 2 bars long.

loop the very last bit (maybe 2 - 4 beats)

you should get a buffer repeating crash.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Not a Reaper Bug
Priority 2
Affected Version 3.05
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-12-2009 05:15 PM

by "buffer repeating crash", you mean - reaper disappears (but keeps running) and a tiny bit of looping audio keeps going?

you might have stumbled on a way to reproduce a different problem i was having... will try and reproduce this tonight.
07-12-2009 06:40 PM

no, the audio stops when reaper disappears, but it could still very well be related.
07-13-2009 01:49 AM

no, it's a totally different crash but it's reproducible (within a minute or so - you seem to need to start/stop plugins first). note - this is an older version of this.

AppName: reaper.exe AppVer: 3.0.5.0 ModName: amplitubexgear.vpa
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 002678ac

looks like an amplitube problem, though

"Unhandled exception at 0x03fb78ac in reaper.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x08a22000."

happens when anticpative is on or off, and with # audio threads at 1 or 2.

will post project file. i'd say it's not a reaper bug, though.
07-16-2009 09:48 AM
Administrator

At loop edges, Reaper may give plugins a short buffer to process. Although this is allowed in the VST spec, it breaks some plugins, which we specifically blacklist and handle slightly differently (the different handling can cause a slight "tail" glitch at loop edges, which isn't awesome but is better than crashing).

Amplitube 2 and Ampeg SVX are already blacklisted. We'll add X-Gear to the list. If you find any other plugins that crash on loop edges, we'll blacklist them too.
03-25-2010 11:59 PM

ni maschine does it too.. but only when i'm looping for about 6 rotations and when i stop playback the audio stumbles over itself(for a longer reapeaat studder stumble if i've let it loop for a longer period of time) and can crash sometimes...it has always stumbled in every version but I only got crashes with a beta version 1.5 of maschine and not the previous versions... :(
I'm running maschine with multiple outputs.. into reaper (kick channel , snare channel , piano channel ,etc )

win 7 reaper 64

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue