Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Mute/Solo Buttons in MIDI Editor window Issue Tools
issueid=3530 08-19-2011 04:08 PM
Human being with feelings
Mute/Solo Buttons in MIDI Editor window
It takes 2 and 3 clicks to mute/solo in the midi editor window

How about the midi track Solo/Mute buttons being available in the MIDI editor window?

Sometimes when I'm entering MIDI notes in a track, I need to mute the midi track I'm working on in order to hear the other parts, and sometimes I need to solo the midi track in order to hear the timing along with the metronome.

It's extremely convenient to be able to control the transport controls from the midi editor window, and would definitely be a bonus to be able to solo/mute the midi track that's in the midi editor window.

The two current options that are already in place to mute/solo tracks....

1. Click View
2. Click Filter Events
3. Click Mute or Solo

3 clicks.

Or I can

1. Click the Filter Button
2. Click Mute or Solo

2 Clicks.

Or, I could just click a Mute or Solo button that's right next to the transport bar in the MIDI window for a total of ONE click.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category MIDI recording and playback
Status Fixed
Priority 6
Affected Version 4.01
Closed Version 5.18
Yes votes 21
No votes 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-09-2011 07:53 PM

I would love to see this feature.
10-09-2011 10:58 PM

I agree that mute/solo in MIDI editor could be improved. But your description of current options is a bit missleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat
The two current options that are already in place to mute/solo tracks....

1. Click View
2. Click Filter Events
3. Click Mute or Solo

3 clicks.

Or I can

1. Click the Filter Button
2. Click Mute or Solo

2 Clicks.
User who wants to optimize number of clicks would not use the first option (Click View, ...) because the second option (Click the Filter Button, ...) is faster.
And there are also other options.
A)
Open Filter Events window and move it to either side of MIDI editor window. Keep it opened while you edit in MIDI editor window. This means that you need two clicks only in the beginning. Subsequent mute/solo operations require only a single click.
B)
Dock MIDI editor so that you can see TCP and MIDI editor at the same time. Then you can use mute/solo buttons in TCP with single click. You can even modify the TCP layout so that there is only track name + mute and solo buttons. This would reduce the screen area of the TCP.

Options A and B are still not ideal because in both cases window focus is not in MIDI editor window after clicking mute/solo. This means that one extra click is needed to move window focus back to ME. This is not a big problem if user is editing with mouse in piano-roll. But if he/she is using MIDI editor shortcut actions/macros or step recording then this is an annoying problem.

In my opinion there are two possible solutions.
1. Change window focusing and show/hide logic. Filter events window should not steal window focus from MIDI editor when user clicks track/item controls (mute/solo/view/close/arm/change active item).
Furthermore, if user keeps the Filter Events window open it should be shown after using "View: toggle show MIDI editor window" action.
These small changes could be a short term solution before implementing the second solution.

2. Integrate the track/item list and controls of Filter Events window to the MIDI editor window. One solution has been proposed here: MIDI editor control panel (MECP)

jnif

EDIT:
Currently the best solution is to dock the Filter Events window. Then you can mute/solo with single click. It works actually pretty well. The "window focus stealing" does not happen when Filter Events window is docked.
11-08-2011 11:43 AM

but a M or S button that does what the same button does in any OTHER part of reaper for solo or mute would be so much more practical.
04-18-2016 12:43 PM

IMPLEMENTED (5.18)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue