Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Alt-click to delete envelope points Issue Tools
issueid=501 07-07-2009 09:03 AM
Code Monkey
Alt-click to delete envelope points

It would be useful to be able to delete individual envelope points by alt-clicking on them. (Like FX, markers, etc)
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Affected Version 3.05
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 40
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-08-2009 03:15 AM
Human being with feelings

I actually instinctively tried to do this yesterday.
07-08-2009 01:40 PM

Yes and please can we have more appropriate mouse pointers for adding/removing points? (like a little + or - next to the arrow)
07-08-2009 04:07 PM

this was my first try ... and it would be very consistent with the other alt-clicks !
07-13-2009 03:53 AM

Coming soon, great news!
07-17-2009 12:52 PM

The problem with this is that it makes it way to easy to confuse it with 'lock envelope point vertically' which currently resides at Alt + click. In the current pre-release Alt+click is delete point and Click+Alt is move point horizontally. It's way to confusing.
07-17-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
The problem with this is that it makes it way to easy to confuse it with 'lock envelope point vertically' which currently resides at Alt + click. In the current pre-release Alt+click is delete point and Click+Alt is move point horizontally. It's way to confusing.
I agree. I wouldn't like to see Alt+click to remove points altered because of its consistency in some other areas in the application so changing the current way to move points horizontally to some other combination seems more logical to me.
07-17-2009 03:09 PM

I actually think it must be alt+click BUUTTTTTT YOU DON'T CARE FOR WHAT I THINK, AND YOU SHOULDN'T CARE.

Those options should be in the action list!!!

if the programmers will spend a bit time to make it possible to adjust it from the action list, they will save so much time reading those stupid comments (confusing...bad shortcuts...fking gay menus...get rid of them...middle button issues...etc..)

I don't want the programmers to spend time on those things!
just make it customizable blah!

you guys just need flood the forum with requests to adjust the mouse buttons from the action list, instead of crying and asking for some egoistic adjustments that will probably hurt someone else's workflow.

2 examples of what you guys should ask for instead of crying like babies (I cry like a man...) about logical shorcuts:

here: (full customization for mouse commands)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=39210

and here: (Fully Customizable menues)
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=427
07-17-2009 03:42 PM
-blänk-

I am all for customizable everything, but still the default mouse, menues and key assignments need to be very carefully thought out by the devs. Reaper is definitely running out of modifiers and keys. Not only on envelopes.

One could easily free up one modifier by combining the horizontal (ALT+drag) and vertical (CTRL+ALT+Drag) movement restrictions to a thing working like CTRL+SHIFT+drag in the MIDI editor that restricts in the first direction you take.

The fact that the MIDI editors modifier for movement restriction is different from both envelope key combos speaks volumes. Needs to be changed imo, not per customization but per default, for those that are just installing and expecting consistency around the application and want to just go ahead instead of having to go searching the holy grail of key and mouse assignments first.
07-17-2009 04:05 PM

This keeps on repeating.

Cockos would be very thoughtful of their users if they would allow us to define exactly what the left, middle and right (+double, maybe even triple-click?) should do. They should have that as high priority because a lot of people chimes in for that kind of flexibility.

+1
07-18-2009 03:28 AM
-blänk-

Even if you could customize the mouse you still run out of modifiers.
I think the problem should be handled by making modifiers obsolete whenever possible. That's why I mentioned the MIDI editor's movement restrictions which would free up one.

Another thought, to return to topic:
Strictly thinking there is no need to have a different command for add vs. delete points at all. It could be done with the same click. Logic for example made a difference between long clicks and short clicks.

- Short click on a "pointless" part of the envelope adds a point.
- Click-hold on a "pointless" part of the envelope selects the segment between two points.

- Short click on an existing point deletes that point.
- Click-hold on an existing point grabs the point for movement.

I can do all basic editing of envelopes with no modifier (and no tool change) at all. Just with a smart mouse behaviour.
Together with the single modifier for movement restriction this is two modifiers less to learn, reach out for (and/or customize if you need that).
07-18-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:
Even if you could customize the mouse you still run out of modifiers.
not at all...
there are about 80% of the shortcuts that I just don't use...so I have 80% shortcuts which are ready to be assigned.

about the points...

just see the vid I did about the automation clips....it's just perfect. you can see the workflow there.
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=546

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue