Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

FX browser with preview images? Issue Tools
issueid=723 07-27-2009 12:06 AM
Human being with feelings
FX browser with preview images?
It'd be nice to have thumbnails of your VSTs show up in a themed fx rack

(Hopefully this isn't a duplicated request - I searched and couldn't come up with anything though.)

It'd be nice to have thumbnails of your VSTs show up in the fx browser, as described in http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30843 and also to some extent in
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18051

For me personally this would be mainly useful in the fx browser but other people have listed some other places this could come in handy in those threads.

It'd be really nice to have an image view of VSTis. Once you get past a certain point (especially with lots of plugins in one spot) all that text gets a bit hard to parse in a hurry. But images/coloured items are really quick to parse.

I figure this could probably be somewhat automated? Maybe an option to capture a plugin GUI image during rescan or something?

Thanks!

(moderators, can you pls change the title of this to 'effects browser with preview images'? cheers)
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version 3.06
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 11
Users who would not use this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-27-2009 01:20 AM

this is one of the things that companies do when they don't have anything else to do anymore. (priority 10 indeed.)

I really don't want the programmers to waste time on such a eye candy...

this is one of the things that I really don't like in FLstudio.

From experience, this "eye candy" didn't reward my workflow or anything else in anyway...

infact, as I use many effects, having those big thumbs will only take up useful space and cause to use the scroll bar frequently.
07-27-2009 01:36 AM

agreed, it should be low priority and optional. but for me it'd be a good workflow improvement - i really do struggle a bit looking for fx while mixing, even with customised fx folders - people typically remember stuff like that visually more than textually. it was discussed a lot a while back and i was surprised to not find it in the issue tracker.

i'm guessing it's also implementable without breaking any existing framework code - it doesn't seem to change any existing behaviour, it's just an addition.
07-27-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000
i really do struggle a bit looking for fx while mixing, even with customised fx folders.
I can guess that you probably heard or thought about it before...

anyway, uninstall plugins that you don't use or plugins that duplicate other plugins.

my list reduced from 500+ to 143 plugins - while only 30-40 plugins are favorited for the workflow (those should be in the drop down menu), the rest are for special needs and can be found in the browser.

I still reduce my list every now and then, for every plugin that I add, I delete 2-4, especially since I built my own effects, so for example I can combine 8 delay plugins into one sophisticated plugin that can do it all, with all their best presets.

it is even more important to get rid of duplicated synths, it is better to get used to few synths + modular that can do it all.

I choose my favorites very carefully, and it pays very well in all terms.
07-27-2009 03:24 AM

i tend to keep old plugins around so i can open older projects (i take a long time to finish these damn things...)

i also use a lot of fx regularly though. i probably have eight or nine dynamics processors i still use a lot. even if i could colour code them to the same colour as the plugin gui that'd help.
07-27-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000
i tend to keep old plugins around so i can open older projects (i take a long time to finish these damn things...)
remove them and save the installations/back for these old plugins...

Quote:
even if i could colour code them to the same colour as the plugin gui that'd help.
that's actually a cool idea, to set background colors (behind texts).
07-27-2009 05:15 AM

if the .dll files could be drag & dropped from the media browser & external browser , directly to the fx chain,

it could be solve some problems,

this feature could be implemented by third party, for example.

i think it's very easy & usefull to implement that,
as you can drop new dll without rescan.
(althogh reaper do rescan very good, smart & quick)

what you say ? you vote for it ?
07-27-2009 07:17 AM

Have a look at that:

[IMG]http://img301.**************/img301/8978/flstudio8.th.jpg[/IMG]

http://img301.**************/img301/8978/flstudio8.jpg
07-27-2009 11:52 AM
-blänk-

I resist the urge to mock up a picture of the JS folder with hundreds of tiny standard-ui thumbnails. Not sure that would help organizing me (hmm, let's see, 6 faders, could be stillwell chorus) ;).

I do like the color-code idea much better.
07-27-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
Have a look at that:

[IMG]http://img301.**************/img301/8978/flstudio8.th.jpg[/IMG]

http://img301.**************/img301/8978/flstudio8.jpg
is this a new default skin of fl studio ?

edit: i've read the text in the picture, and disappointed from the "s" icon.

at the begining i thought,
that at least after 10 years code,
now fl studio, has solo mute function like all others daws.
but no, the "s" is for select :)
07-27-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer
I resist the urge to mock up a picture of the JS folder with hundreds of tiny standard-ui thumbnails. Not sure that would help organizing me (hmm, let's see, 6 faders, could be stillwell chorus) ;).

I do like the color-code idea much better.
all of the non-skinable windows should have the ability to select
colors, front/back.
07-28-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
Have a look at that:
woo, that looks pretty sweet.

anyway, even colour coding would be useful.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue