Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Static video sync 1 frame off Issue Tools
issueid=1493 11-08-2009 09:19 PM
Human being with feelings
Static video sync 1 frame off
compressed video formats are 1 frame off when nudging through frames

This bug is in 3.14 but the tracker won't allow me to select it so I chose 3.13.

It appears that compressed video codecs are either 1 frame behind (advancing) or 1 frame ahead (reversing) when nudging through static frames. As best as I can tell, the video is in sync during playback so I assume this is some sort of buffer making itself known. By the way, the new video engine is very nice so far.

Using my timecode ruler hack to advance and rewind one frame at a time I have noticed that with compressed codecs the current time relative to the ruler moving forward is 2 frames different than it is when moving backwards. This means that if I manage to get the timecode burn on the video and the timecode ruler lined up at 10:19:50:01, if I go forward one frame in reaper the timecode window burn actually goes back to 10:19:50:00 as the timecode ruler goes ahead to 10:19:50:02. The timecode window burn will remain 2 frames behind for every subsequent frame forward. When going backwards through the session the frames will once again line up exactly.

*Please note that the video must have a timecode window burn showing the current frame number to easily see the bug. Airon has explained how to set up a timecode window burn in this post...

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=31

The following codecs have exhibited this problem for me:

Length: 25:35.201
Video: 720x480@23.98fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
(it's an h.264)

Length: 25:35.000
Video: 720x480@29.97fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
(it's divx)
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Not a Reaper Bug
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.13
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-09-2009 05:16 PM

I`m going out of my mind a bit trying to confirm or deny this one. The machine that I originally discovered and posted the bug from is running Windows 7. Because I haven`t run into others with the same issues and no confirmation have appeared yet I tried it on another machine I have access to running Vista Ultimate (32bit). The bug does not exist at all on that machine.

On the Windows 7 machine I have reinstalled the codec pack (Shark007, same as on the Vista machine), uninstalled and reinstalled quicktime (in several different forms) and checked out with GraphEdit the codec being used on each machine. The setup is as close to identical as I can get it yet no matter which codec I use on the Windows 7 machine the video window is always displaying the previous screen. If I click to 10:19:05:03 on the timeline the video window won`t go there until I click elsewhere (for example 10:03:30:21) at which point the video window burn timecode will display 10:19:05:03. This negates my previous guess that the problem is with a buffer. It now appears that the video window is always showing the previously selected frame position. Can anyone confirm this? I`m starting to think it might be best to remove this from the bug tracker as I can`t confidently say it`s Reaper problem.
11-09-2009 08:05 PM

I'm pretty certain at this point the problem is with the Windows 7 Nvidia driver for my system (Dell Latitude D620) so unless this is something that

a: can be compensated for in Reaper

b: you (the devs) actually want to fix

then feel free to delete or resolve this bug.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I figured that it was the video driver when I booted into safe mode on the system and the vga driver did not exhibit the problem at all.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue