Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

New Extreme Time-Stretching Issue Tools
issueid=2700 07-05-2010 10:42 AM
Human being with feelings
New Extreme Time-Stretching
Suggested new algorithms for smooth-sounding extreme time-stretching.

Reaper's current time-stretching modes work well for time-alignment and minor amounts of time-stretching, but are limited to a playback speed of 0.1 at the slowest.

By that time the algorithms (which aren't designed to sound good at that speed) sound very strange and all their artifacts have become very noticeable.

This makes them less suitable for extreme sound-warping (for use in sound design for example).

I'm suggesting the addition of a new algorithm, aimed at the extreme end of the stretch-spectrum. This would allow you to slow audio down to play at speeds all the way down to 0 (completely "frozen" audio spectrum) *without affecting pitch* and while still sounding good.

It's a simple but effective granular algorithm (similar to the Low Quality Windowed mode) that allows speeds of down to 0. It also provides unusual warping effects created by pitch-shifting grains independently of each-other, and it would be very light on the cpu. I've already sent an explanation of how it works to Cockos, and it can be found here.

The audio clip is an example of the simple granular algorithm implemented in max/msp. The source audio is a piano recording of Arabesque 2 by Debussy. The clip is just a recording of me adjusting parameters while the audio plays, which I've edited a little to cut down the length. No extra processing was used. This algorithm offers good sound quality and the ability to adjust many parameters in real-time without glitches. This versatility would make it an extremely powerful tool if the parameters were enabled for automation.

Audio clip - simple granular algorithm - adjusting grain size, grain-read speed and playback speed:

Extreme Time-Pitch demo.mp3

You would be able to do all that and more with a few clicks, all in Reaper's edit window! If the parameters were available for automation, and grains could be routed separately, then that clip is the tip-of-the-iceberg in terms of the variety of sound that could be created!

This algorithm would be an extremely useful tool for audio artists, composers and sound designers. There are loads of ways the granular algorithm could be implemented in Reaper, offering options and effects not achievable *in any other DAW*.

Please post any questions and suggestions in the discussion thread, and vote yes! I'm happy to explain my ideas in more detail in that thread. If anyone wants some more examples of different effects that could be achieved also post in the discussion thread.

discussion thread

There has already been some interest from Justin, so this just needs enough votes to get it on the to-do list!

Thanks
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.63
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 78
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-05-2010 11:12 AM

"The algorithm is already designed, Open Sourced and under V2 of the GPL, and can be found here"

GPL licensed code can't be used in a proprietary application like Reaper, so you can forget using Paul Nasca's code.
07-05-2010 11:18 AM

Ok, sorry that's an utter misunderstanding on my part - I'll remove it from the FR.
02-14-2012 04:22 PM

Can't it be used as an extension though so it won't violate the GPL license?

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue