Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Crash Recovery (that isn't more annoying than the crash itself) Issue Tools
issueid=363 06-26-2009 11:26 PM
Human being with feelings
Crash Recovery (that isn't more annoying than the crash itself)
Crash recovery on par with Cubendo or Word 97

Coming from Cubase/Nuendo I wish the crash recovery in Reaper was better.

Here are a few areas I believe could be improved:

1) When Reaper crashes it should ask you if you would like to recover your work the next time you start it. MS Word has had this for over 10 years. Cubase does it as well, and its really helpful. With Reaper I'm forced to browse to the directory, change the file view type then manually try to find the newest one. If there is a crash it should be as easy as possible to restore your work.

2) This is related to 1) but if Reaper crashes before a project has been saved for the first time, its near impossible to recover your work (at least it appears to be for me).

3) After changing file selection type, browsing, sorting by date, and opening the most recent .RPP-BAK file you are now stuck with an "untitled project" with the same inherent issues as point number 2. Then guess what? When you go to save the project, Reaper doesn't remember the project directory and defaults to some completely unrelated directory, forcing you to browse back to the correct folder, being cafeful to uncheck 'create new folder' and 'copy/move all media to project directory' if you use those options. By this time I'm at least 3x as ticked off as I was regarding the actual crash and rather than be in the mood to continue working on the song, I feel more like posting on the forum, hoping this issue gets addressed...

While crashes are inevitable, when they happen it needs to be as quick as possible to resume your work and these frustrating moments (for both users and clients) are NOT the time for extra tediousness.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 27
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-27-2009 01:41 AM

I very much agree with all these.

Also... on a new unsaved project, Reaper should save the project file in some temporary location (behind the scene). And the auto-save settings should apply as well.
06-28-2009 09:25 PM

Exactly Evan.

I just lost another song idea in progress. This is unimaginably frustrating.

I'm using a project template, I have auto-saving to additional timestamped file in directory enabled, but it isn't doing that! WHY?

I should be able to look in the project templates folder and have a tonne of RPP-BAK files representing all these lost projects, but there's nothing!

Btw, Cubendo's auto-saving works on unsaved projects. Browse to the directory, load 'Untitled.bak' and away you go.
06-29-2009 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap
I'm using a project template, I have auto-saving to additional timestamped file in directory enabled, but it isn't doing that! WHY?
Did you enter a valid directory name ?
Because that's my way of crash-recovering: Set auto-backup-time to 1 minute, when crashed, get the newest rpp-bak, overwrite main project. Works perfectly, I don't see any use in crash recovery functions. It actually annoys me in OpenOffice. When using auto-backup you have full control over every step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap
I should be able to look in the project templates folder and have a tonne of RPP-BAK files representing all these lost projects, but there's nothing!
OK, that makes sense.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue