Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Right click on items Issue Tools
issueid=105 06-16-2009 02:39 AM
Human being with feelings
Right click on items
Multiple items loosing focus when right clicked

When multiple items are selected and then right clicked reaper occasionaly looses focus on the multiple items and selects only the one item, bringing up the menu(difficult to select multiple items and right click - glue). Related, is when right clicking a single item a double right click is required, once to select the item and once to bring up the right click menu, this should be a single click as in previous 2.X versions
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.03
Closed Version 3.04
Yes votes 5
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-16-2009 07:02 AM

Having the same problems here, right-click-context menu can take anywhere from 1-4 right-clicks before it comes up.
06-16-2009 07:11 AM
Administrator

If there is already a context (r-click) menu open, r-click on another item will close the context menu and select the new item without opening a new context menu. If there is not a context menu open, r-click on another item will select the new item and open the context menu. We can change this so that r-click always opens a new context menu even if there is already a context menu open -- is that the request?

It seems that multiple selections only get lost if you move the mouse slightly which right-clicking (which Reaper interprets as starting a new marquee selection). Perhaps the move threshold for right-click marquee is too low, although I hesitate to change this, because I think some users are used to selecting items by making tiny marquee selections.

For both issues, more information required please.
06-16-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
We can change this so that r-click always opens a new context menu even if there is already a context menu open -- is that the request?
For myself definitley I prefer always open a new context menu. This is how it was in previous versions, yes?

Quote:
It seems that multiple selections only get lost if you move the mouse slightly which right-clicking (which Reaper interprets as starting a new marquee selection). Perhaps the move threshold for right-click marquee is too low, although I hesitate to change this, because I think some users are used to selecting items by making tiny marquee selections.
I would say the threshold is too low at the moment. It works ok for me on my laptop but on my main DAW no matter how careful I am its virtually impossible to hold onto selections.
06-16-2009 07:42 AM

I'm having the same problems - also in the MIDI-editor.

@schwa: I think (although I might be wrong) very few people do really tiny marquees. Maybe they should zoom in in these cases, (but maybe I'm just ignorant).

I often draw a marquee around some events in the MIDI-editor when I want to shift or copy some notes, but then I frequently end up with having just one new note instead of getting what I wanted and the previously made selection is gone. You need to have a real steady hand to get what you want sometimes.

-Data
06-16-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:
... We can change this so that r-click always opens a new context menu even if there is already a context menu open -- is that the request?
I support this idea. Single r-click should always show context menu.
06-16-2009 09:24 AM

+1 single r-click opens context menu

+1 higher move threshold
06-17-2009 01:12 PM
Mortal

Quote:
We can change this so that r-click always opens a new context menu even if there is already a context menu open -- is that the request?
Schwa, it's like this in v2.58: popup always displayed
06-17-2009 01:13 PM
-blänk-

I am one of those tiny-marquee drawing guys (eg on MIDI-inline items), so if it can be avoided, please leave the threshold as is. Or maybe make it a preference setting?

While testing I saw that focus is a reason for the necessity of double clicks to open the context menue. For example:

- Select an item
- click on a tcp, mcp, or anything that removes focus from the arrange area
- rightclick the selected item
re(a)sult: context menue doesn't open, a second rightclick is needed
expected: context menue opens
06-18-2009 08:51 AM
Code Monkey

1) My preferred behavior would be always open a new context menu on right click.

2) I use the tiny-marquee method. When I check here seems to me that the threshold is zero now (>0 pixel of mouse movement between press and release means marquee). I wonder if just increasing that to 1 would help the people who don't hold the mouse perfectly still but wouldn't bother us micro marqueeists. Of course an option to change the sensitivity would be the solve-all.

(btw, for those wondering why you'd bother using the tiny marquee: It selects items without moving the cursor.)
06-18-2009 04:04 PM
-blänk-

I didn't suffer from deselectitis (maybe becauese the Archer is my sign) so I can't comment on that, but the double clicking is definitely fixed here with 3.04 pre :)
06-18-2009 10:27 PM
Administrator

Right click working better for people in 3.04?
06-18-2009 11:24 PM

Perfect for me so far...select and deselect drag still work great, and I get the context menu first time. Nice job!
06-19-2009 11:06 AM

Fantastic, couldnt be happier!!

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue