Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Assignable TCP & MCP volume faders Issue Tools
issueid=524 07-09-2009 08:22 AM
Mortal
Assignable TCP & MCP volume faders
Been able to assign any parameter on the volume faders

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It might be nice to also have the option "assign to track volume fader", etc, but we don't currently have this.
Typical use example: been able to assign MIDI volume to the TCP & MCP volume faders (FX parameters assignment, "CC" actions, etc..)

Follow the quote's link for the related thread.

[EDIT]
Interesting things to do if combined with those other FRs:
- http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=228 (in short: beeing able to hide TCP/MCP controls)
- http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1900 (FX knob display customization: knob, fader, or toggle switch)
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version 3.05
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 25
Users who would not use this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags Automation, VST Parameters

07-23-2009 07:21 AM
Mortal

... and why not assignable pan faders, and any other track control buttons !
07-23-2009 08:27 AM
Human being with feelings

i keep a wary eye on this fr.

only by option.
the current behavior must remain, as you CAN use the pan/volume fader on tracks to control the vst's audio output (instead of cc 7-volume) and that MUST REMAIN.
07-23-2009 08:34 AM
Mortal

OF COURSE!
Rmk: details like this one are discussed in the quoted thread.
[EDIT] ok, I see that you've made the same remark at that time and semiquaver made a cool suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
How about this simple-ish (if kludgy?) solution: allow any parameter to be optionally assigned to the fader instead of to the usual knob. Then let you toggle back and forth (in case you need to move the 'actual' fader). This would be flexible, simple to implement (easy for me to say!), and wwould save space over having to have the knobs showing etc.
... but let's wait for the cockos one!

I also forget to mention that for midi volume,etc.. one possible "workaround" is to use FX param knobs. Very acceptable "workaround"...
07-23-2009 09:51 AM

I think a better idea is a 2nd set of (optional) volume/pan controls for MIDI only. Similar to how you add knobs to the TCP/MCP panels.

And to extend that thought... generic slider controls (alongside knobs) for controlling parameters.
07-23-2009 11:33 AM
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
I think a better idea is a 2nd set of (optional) volume/pan controls for MIDI only. Similar to how you add knobs to the TCP/MCP panels.
I don't understand. "2nd set" ? IMO, this is not a "better" but a different idea: I simply understand it as "I want different controls for FX param: knob & fader" (and I agree! I've never turned a knob to toggle and on/off param before) => so let's add a toggle switch too.
But take this example: I have a midi item on a track, no vst, a simple JS midi volume on it AND routing to different tracks with VSTs. What I want is to change the midi volume. With your idea: I'll still have 2 faders and 1 totally useless. With this -different & compatible- idea: I'll have a single fader doing the job.
07-23-2009 12:12 PM

Jeffos,

Correct. My scenario covers all cases e.g. when you have a VSTi and you want to control both the MIDI volume and the audio volume. But what you pointed out is also an issue: the un-necessary 1st set of volume/pan for MIDI only work.

It can get confusing if the identical volume/pan controls work for MIDI for some tracks, and for audio for other tracks. I would like them to at least look somehow different, which is why I don't particularly like the idea of selecting MIDI/audio functionality behind right-click menus.

To summarize my view:

- *Yes* to switching the main volume/pan for MIDI *if* they are somehow visually different than the normal audio sliders.
- *No* for exactly the same controls doing MIDI or AUDIO with no indication other than right-click hunting. (which is happening in some other functionality in reaper)
- Both audio+MIDI volume/pan, as separate controls, simultaneously, would be useful as well as an extra option.
07-26-2009 05:52 AM

i think i made a post like this

what you think ?
07-26-2009 02:08 PM

Two ways this might work...
1)A "Use Track Controls for ReaControl Vol/Pan" option checkbox in ReaControl. (A quick solution for the most-used parameters)
2)Separate "track vol" and "track pan" checkboxes after each ReaControl parameter. They would have to be exclusive...only one of each could be checked at a time. (A fancier, more flexible approach.)

Also,it might be helpful if the assigned track vol/pan faders turned the same color as the corresponding automation line.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue