Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Copy/move region ignoring selected track(s) Issue Tools
issueid=4657 02-19-2013 07:05 PM
Human being with feelings
Copy/move region ignoring selected track(s)
Would ease up working with/composing different parts of song

Hello there!

Regions are great. It's so quick and easy to copy region (by cmd+drag from region's name) and use the copy as a starting point for different part of song.

I have done a lot remixes by composing drums (from audio items*) and other sounds on top of a 3-5 min long vocal track and this is when Reaper comes short: copying/moving region cuts vocal track into pieces and moves those pieces around with region (which is perfectly logical). Would be super if one could copy/move region ignoring selected tracks (or optionally item properties: 'locked' items) when wanted to do so.

This also applies for general composing (when there's no long items) as then one could just copy specific parts of region and continue from there.

Copying region is a lot quicker than making a selection, especially when region is long so you have to zoom in or if there's a lot tracks, 30+ (shame me), as all tracks won't anymore fit into screen at once even when docker is hidden (one can minimize folders but that's more clicks). Region copying is also exact (just cmd+drag the copy from regions's name), no need to worry about whether the items on first and last measures are included or not or will there be something excessive from previous/next measures.

* I haven't used ReaDrums or similar helpers yet that much for the drums so I cannot just copy/loop the midi. For a time I thought it would be easier to use just audio items than work with samplers - now I know it's kinda not (and now I know about ReaDrums). Today I started programming drums with midi, but after a while I faced the situation where I have a lot different audio items which playback rate is modified and that's something what Reasamplomatic cannot do. And in general I think it's a lot quicker to do composition from samples by cutting, reversing, streching, pitching, positioning, duplicating them directly in track view rather than doing it with sampler and midi. Just if I could copy region without those specific tracks/ignore some items.

So what I hope for: to be able to ignore (all items on) selected tracks from region move/copy when region is moved by shift+drag or copied with shift+cmd+drag (insted of normal drag/cmd+drag). Or to be able to lock certain items out of region moving and copying - but I think the first suggestion would be more useful and quicker.

Does it make any sense for others?
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 4.32
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 4
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)