Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Option to overlay input & output meters on every plugin GUI Issue Tools
issueid=4491 11-26-2012 12:52 AM
Human being with feelings
Option to overlay input & output meters on every plugin GUI

One of the things I really love about Ableton is that they have a little level meter in between every single plugin... it makes it easy to detect clipping between individual plugins in a signal chain, rather than just at the start & at the end...

It would be awesome to have a feature (which you could toggle on & off) in Reaper to allow for level meters to be added to overlaid on either side of every plugin GUI, showing the level coming into & going out of the plugin... essentially, the same exact way that JS plugins already do (meter on the left is incoming signal, meter on the right is outgoing signal):

This screenshot shows pretty much my perfect-world implementation, so since it's already present on JS plugins it hopefully wouldn't be that hard to implement?

I can see how this might not be to everyone's taste, so it could be a toggle on/off kind of feature... but it'd be great to have this to allow for better management of levels within long plugin chains, especially seeing as not every plugin has level meters, or even an LED to indicate clipping at the output...
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 4.30
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 9
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-27-2012 12:14 PM

+ For instruments, we should of course have the option to only show output level on the left side.
12-07-2012 09:23 PM

I guess there might be a couple scenarios where having the input meter on instruments would be useful...

- first thing that springs to mind is the situation where you have multiple instruments in a row as the first X inserts on a track (e.g. 5 samplomatic5000s)...

- second thing - if the first insert on a track is a MIDI plugin of some kind (JS, VST, whatever), the meters could also display MIDI activity, just like the main meters in the mixer... so the meter overlay would be useful for visualising MIDI input to instruments as well as MIDI output of MIDI plugins...

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue