Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

General Transport Bar Improvents Issue Tools
issueid=4724 03-24-2013 04:45 PM
Human being with feelings
General Transport Bar Improvents
See below

General Transport Bar Stuff
Marker 1-10 buttons
Who really needs to see large text telling them what they already surely know, if the transport is actually running or not? It never made any sense to me at all given what's not actually there on the transport that could be there. When you option that text off, look at what left, a nice neat empty block of space for two neat rows of 5 marker buttons each, something that will always be useful. Click a button, locate a marker.

No macro building, no adding buttons for that to custom toolbars, it probably should already be there right on the transport in a mid version 4 product whose UI continually evolves. Markers / locating is, after all, a transport function.

Regions 1-10
Look at all this empty space on my 1280x800 MacBook screen. Why not do the same there, Regions 1-10, dedicated buttons that always fire those actions, intuitive. Instead it just makes the other controls bigger on a wider screen to cover larger unused space.

Locate Start/End of Time Selection
Roll your mouse over any of the time selection fields on the transport and tell me what use that is, since they don't increment by bars, the most logical thing to increment by in that case. They're practically useless to the mousewheel since I find it near impossible to size or move the time selection and have it actually land smack dab on a bar line.

When data fields like that are individual fields, you can increment bars, or 1/4 notes, whatever, with the mouse wheel. I can't seem to do that there. It seems to always move in some ... not so useful ... increments.

Time Display
Imo, mmv using (apparently) a single label control for the time display was maybe a bad coding shortcut. If those fields were individually editable text fields, you could edit them directly and tab through them while editing, and quickly locate.

You could still roll time with a label control, if that's easier to leave it be, but clicking should bring up editable text fields for each section. Having to pop up a dialog to locate to a specific time (or marker, or region) is really ... kinda 1980?... and it doesn't live up to some of Reaper's other nicer UI parts.

Workstations are, at the end of the day, about making music, so anytime you can reduce the users activity managing the UI, he or she has more time to make music. Dialogs, missing UI functions, practically useless edit fields, these are all things that could be removed and/or improved, imo, to make the overall UI better.

That's all. Thanks for listening.

Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 4.32
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 4
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)