Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Tablature Editor/Tablature View in MIDI-Editor Issue Tools
issueid=332 06-25-2009 12:46 PM
Human being with feelings
Tablature Editor/Tablature View in MIDI-Editor
A tablature editor would make REAPER even greater

I just thought about a tablature editor in REAPERs midi-editor or as separate window would be great. The piano roll is very nice, but for people based on string-instruments its often not that easy.

So, maybe Justin could think about implementing a tablature editor or tablature view within the current midi-editor.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category MIDI recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 22
Users who would not use this feature 13
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-30-2009 01:33 AM

Ok, 2 votes for and 4 votes against... Could anyone tell me why so many votes against (compared to the votes for)?
06-30-2009 03:01 AM

+1 it would be nice i think. strings and others are very problem when use the piano roll.

Score and Tab editor would be nice and perfect to gain time ;)
06-30-2009 03:50 AM

How would you implement a tablature editor to represent midi data, the way the piano roll does? (honestly curious). Do you have any examples of implementations in other software that you find useful?
06-30-2009 04:13 AM

No no no, missing the point there. PRV and tab view should be mutually exclusive. That is, either you view the track one way, or the other. You shouldn't be able to convert from piano roll to tabs (as on piano roll you can use more than 6 or 7 "strings" at any time), but you should be able to convert from tab view to piano roll.

On the other hand, tabs should accompany a score view. And score view should be convertable from/to piano roll, and from/to tabs.
06-30-2009 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
How would you implement a tablature editor to represent midi data, the way the piano roll does? (honestly curious). Do you have any examples of implementations in other software that you find useful?
For example like "Guitar Pro" does.
06-30-2009 04:33 AM

Guitar Pro doesn't have a Piano Roll view, it has a Score view :)

Sonar has all of those, I think.
06-30-2009 04:35 AM

My answer was pointed to the question "Do you have any examples of implementations in other software that you find useful?". ;-)
07-08-2009 08:38 AM

I wouldn't vote against this, but personally, I'd much prefer to see priority given to a decent built-in conventional notation editor first.
07-08-2009 08:43 AM

They're not votes "for" or "against". The question that is asked is, "Would you use this feature", and the options given are "Yes" and "No". I would not use this feature, therefore I answered "No".
07-08-2009 08:51 AM

I'm primarily a guitarist... but I think you should just hone your piano skills, rather than wait around for a tab editor. Tab doesn't allow for programming note length anyway.
07-08-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMills
They're not votes "for" or "against". The question that is asked is, "Would you use this feature", and the options given are "Yes" and "No". I would not use this feature, therefore I answered "No".
Quite right - thanks for pointing that out. However, there is also a third option, of course, which is to abstain by not voting on the issue. I guess I interpreted those three options as being "yes"="for", no="against" or (by not voting at all) "not bothered either way".
07-08-2009 02:11 PM

A very usefull tool for my work with Reaper,..Tablature for midi guitar tracks,sure..
07-08-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience
I'm primarily a guitarist... but I think you should just hone your piano skills, rather than wait around for a tab editor. Tab doesn't allow for programming note length anyway.
Most guitarists I know read conventional notation anyway.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue