Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

Inconsistent channel behaviour when loading FX chains Issue Tools
issueid=5436 11-27-2014 09:13 AM
Human being with feelings
Inconsistent channel behaviour when loading FX chains
Loading FX chains doesn't always increase the channel count when necessary

When loading FX chains containing more channels than the destination track/item, although the pin mapping is preserved, the track/item is not always adjusted to have the required number of channels. This is frustrating as it means you not only have to remember to manually set the channels but you also have to remember how many channels are required for the chain (I've started putting that info in the filenames).

It seems to only work correctly if you load a chain to a track by right-clicking the Track FX or Input FX (IFX) button. All the other methods of loading a chain appear broken:

Right-click track FX/IFX button = correct
Add chain to track FX/IFX from FX browser = incorrect
Drag/drop to track FX/IFX from FX browser = incorrect
Drag/drop file to track FX from OS = correct
Drag/drop file to track IFX from OS = incorrect (see below)

Right-click item FX button = incorrect
Drag/drop to item FX from FX browser = incorrect
Add chain to item FX from FX browser = incorrect
Drag/drop file to item FX from OS = incorrect

So only 3 out of 12 actions I tested work as expected, assuming you expect the channel count to increase to accomodate the loaded chain. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want that but if there is one I'd be interested to know. In any case the current behaviour is inconsistent and that's bad.

I also found while investigating this that drag/drop an FX chain file from Explorer to a track IFX dialog causes the chain to be loaded (with the correct channels) to the normal track FX, not IFX.

I haven't had time yet to test the behaviour of the Master FX or Monitor FX chains...

Using 4.75 on Win7 32bit FWIW

Discussion thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...02#post1435002
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 3
Affected Version 4.73
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0