Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Some VSTs (Massive, Sylenth1 and probably others) have erratic Automation behaviour when using MIDI hardware to control them Issue Tools
issueid=4867 06-29-2013 10:01 PM
Human being with feelings
Some VSTs (Massive, Sylenth1 and probably others) have erratic Automation behaviour when using MIDI hardware to control them
When touch or latch is used with Massive or Sylenth1 automation is impossible to record accurately using MIDI controller sliders or knobs

Noticed a problem on my PC with using MIDI CC to control automation. First noticed it in 4.5 rc7 x64 but it also exists in 4.402 x64. If Touch or Latch is selected, turning the MIDI controller knob or slider results in the values to jump all over the place making recording the correct values impossible. If Write mode is used, it behaves correctly as expected and is super smooth when the slider or knob is moved. See the behaviour in the attached licecap (Licecap is only recorded at 5fps, but still should give you the general idea what is happening). In All 3 modes in the licecap (Touch, Latch and Write), I smoothly move the slider on my MPK49 up to the top and back to the bottom once. The licecap shows it jumping all over the place in Latch and Touch modes.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create new track in Reaper
2. Add Massive VST to track and put track in record arm mode
3. In the Macro Control section of Massive, right click on the 2nd dial and choose MIDI Learn.
4. Move a knob or slider on your keyboard or MIDI device. Test moving the knob or slider and check it turns the dial in Massive.
5. Turn on automation for Massive Dial 2 on the track in Reaper (Make Visible and Arm).
6. Set Touch or Latch automation and move slider or knob to see values jumping all over the place. Turn on Write automation and see it move very smooth and precise.

My config:
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Reaper 4.5 rc12 64-bit (problem also happens in 4.402 x64)
SWS Extensions 2.3.0 #19 64-bit (also happens with no SWS installed)
NI Massive 1.3.1 (R129) 64-bit (Latest version)
AKAI MPK49 Keyboard (Firmware 2.04)
This issue is closed. No more replies may be made.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Misdirected Post
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 4.402
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-30-2013 01:29 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry for the trouble! Please post bugs/help requests in the appropriate forums first. This is the issue tracker, a database for confirmed/confirmable (after it was discussed in the forums) REAPER bugs. Alas we can't simply move things between the tracker and the forum. If you still have this issue, can you repost this in the forum for further investigation, please? Thanks!

You can't activate a VSTi's built-in MIDI learn function and the automation learn function for the same parameter at the same time.
Closed

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue