Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Quick Record button in transport bar Issue Tools
issueid=233 06-21-2009 11:17 AM
Human being with feelings
Quick Record button in transport bar
Quick Record button performs same function as Save live output

For composers, a quick record button in the transport bar that performs the "Save Live Output" function, would be nice.

The idea is to have one click access to recording your ideas in a temporary file. Simple save the file with the name of timestamp (which is unique, ofcourse).

When you click this button, live recording starts, no metronome, no questions asked. Click it again, recording stops.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 12
Users who would not use this feature 16
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-21-2009 11:24 AM

How bloody easy do you want it?! It's already a piece of cake!
06-24-2009 01:49 AM

I think he's asking for a very quick method to capture ideas when they come, without having to arm the right tracks, set recording position, boundaries etc... It's not about easy or hard, it's about 'a cool idea just popped up and I want everything between me and the recording out of the way'. I very much support this idea.

The recording doesn't have to be placed in the project, but it can appear in a drag-n-drop list (to be dragged into the project).

This is a very cool feature especially for people working on their own with the computer.
06-24-2009 09:03 AM

With all due respect, Evan, how do you expect Reaper to know what input to 'quick-record' without arming a track? Even in Fruityloops which DOES have a one-click record button, it still isn't really a one-click process. You still have to arm the mixer track and select the input you want to record.
06-24-2009 09:10 AM

Amb, you don't expect Reaper to know... you select it. I have not thought this through but I can come up with ideas.

example...

Behind the QuickRecord(tm) button, there's a virtual independent ideas recorder.

You select an existing (or multiple) tracks from a list (of existing tracks), and 'quickrecord' records instantaneously what goes into these tracks, with or without their FX chains. Except you don't have to arm, set recording range, no count-ins, no need to play on time or get it right etc... just files straight to disk.

That's how I imagine it.
06-24-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
I think he's asking for a very quick method to capture ideas when they come, without having to arm the right tracks, set recording position, boundaries etc... It's not about easy or hard, it's about 'a cool idea just popped up and I want everything between me and the recording out of the way'. I very much support this idea.

The recording doesn't have to be placed in the project, but it can appear in a drag-n-drop list (to be dragged into the project).

This is a very cool feature especially for people working on their own with the computer.

I use programs like Voxengo's recorder for that.

Karbo
06-24-2009 09:18 AM

If you need it make a macro for it.

unarm all tracks
insert new track
arm selected track
position curser at end of project
record

Would that cover it?
06-24-2009 09:52 AM

Ted, not quite because the idea is that you don't mess with the project's arming and position cursor.

Voxengo's recorder is a lot closer to what I am talking about. Having a 2nd project tab just for this purpose is also close. (I have tried neither in practice but I am thinking about it). Of course, a dedicated function for this would be the best.

by the way, I am not sure me and the original poster are on the same line of thought.

This feature should make a lot of sense to guys working solo (alone) on their daws, playing an instrument, jamming, coming up with ideas etc. It's not, perhaps, too significant for people in commercial studios or others who use the DAW strictly as multitrack-recorder/mixer.
06-24-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan

This feature should make a lot of sense to guys working solo (alone) on their daws, playing an instrument, jamming, coming up with ideas etc. It's not, perhaps, too significant for people in commercial studios or others who use the DAW strictly as multitrack-recorder/mixer.
It makes no sense to me, and I'm alone in my room writing songs.

See, the problem I have with it is this; even if we could quick-record as you say... once the audio is recorded, what then? You're going to want to import it to your project, get a tempo-map for it, and sequence the audio in some kind of way.

All of this can be avoided if you just record to a click track, in standard fashion.

Add that to the point I've already made, about a quick-record feature actually not being any quicker than it is already... plus the fact that VSTi's already exist to cater for this... and I just think it is a completely redundant feature request.
06-24-2009 12:29 PM

Amber, you obviously do not need such a feature and I respect your opinion that it is redundant. It is also not a common feature in sequencers and therefore new-territory. It's probably not useful to many people.

I'll give it a different perspective. The DAW sequencer sometimes imposes some psychological limitations to creativity. It's common for people to get more creative when they move away from the computer and use portable recorders and so on. This feature goes alone these lines. A portable recorder in your sequencer, tied to your project.

To answer your question: once the audio is recorded, you have an idea on the disk. You can import it, or keep it there to remember... and record it properly later, or develop it further later... or turn it into a different song. You can quickly build a collection of ideas outside your arrangement (while still working in it). You maybe can record voice commentary. Whatever.

Arguing about this makes it seem much grander than it actually is. I am only saying there is a point to it. Other than that, there are slower workarounds like the ones mentioned.
06-25-2009 10:38 AM

the OPs request is for the quick-record button to "save live output". So no need to set any inputs. The functionality is already there in REAPER - he just wants a button in the transport.

it would be neat though if you could set it so that these recorded live outputs are optionally automatically imported to the project. I could imagine all kinds of new workflows...
06-25-2009 09:51 PM

Well the simple thing to do would be to put a new button on the toolbar and assign the 'save live output' action to it, no?
06-26-2009 01:25 AM
Mortal

I've requested this a few times, so there.

As I recall it, I had some concept of having a record-arm button in the master track (which seemed to me logical). The other point to it would be to have an indication that you are recording, as at present (unless I've missed an addition) you could fill up your drive for lack of a recording indicator in this mode.

But if you can now do this with a do it yourself button, and if that provides an indication that the mode is on, indeed it's done.
06-26-2009 08:36 AM

agreed that an indicator or live recording happening would be great (don't think it could be done with a button - correct me if I'm wrong.

also record arming the master makes great sense: it would be good to be able to set the record options there as well (rather than set every time)

finally options to auto-add the new recordings (a track called "Bounces" could be created) would round out the functionality.
06-26-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
But if you can now do this with a do it yourself button, and if that provides an indication that the mode is on, indeed it's done.

Well, sort of. The button isnt highlighted when 'Save Live Output' is active, but the transport displays 'bouncing' while it is.

So, i think there could be a few more little tweaks that could make this quite good.

1) Enable the toolbar button to be highlighted when 'SLO' is active.

2) If the 'include in filename for new recordings' options are ticked they could apply to 'save live output' as well, but use the project name (or 'Unsaved') instead of the track name. eg SLO-ProjectName-090627_1898.wav

...or maybe these could be seperate settings in the 'save live output' dialogue?

3) A 'save live output(no prompt)' action. If you wanted to change its setings, you'd need to open the dialogue from the file menu or use the normal action.

4) Maybe 'save live' recordings should go in the project folder or if none is saved, the default recording path.????

That should about cover it, along with the ideas mentioned by others above.
06-27-2009 05:43 AM

And having a project/file management system where these files could end up in would be a most welcome way to keep track of these files as well.
06-27-2009 08:02 AM

Speaking of portable recorders, that's what I use - a tiny digital recorder that I make use of when it's more about capturing the idea than the sound. With a condenser mic I can either play a guitar lick, sing a lyric, or even tap a rhythm out on a table top, too. Then, if the file is actually of any use, I just import it into my computer.

These files are easy to archive as well. The recorder that I have was less than $50 and is more portable than Reaper since I can carry it in my pocket, too. :)
06-27-2009 09:48 PM

Got an additional request...

I use a patch bay/mixer for monitoring so it would be nice in 'Save live output' would have an option to include record armed but not monitoring enabled tracks.
06-28-2009 02:57 AM

. .

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue