Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

one transport to rule them all (OPTIONAL) Issue Tools
issueid=1026 08-21-2009 07:13 PM
Human being with feelings
one transport to rule them all (OPTIONAL)

hi all,

i really can`t get used to it, that, whenever i tweak a plugin in a seperated dockerwindow while the track is playing, i can`t stop the playback without being forced to activate the main window first in order for the keystroke to become availlable. there should be a global preference entry which makes it possible that the keystroke for play/stop/pause/cycle on/off are global, no matter what window is currently active.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 3.102
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 45
Users who would not use this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-22-2009 12:43 AM

This is why it's very good to have external control surface, because their transport controls work at any time and aren't dependant on the currently focused window.
08-22-2009 04:57 PM

I voted yes but only as optional. Not giving the whole keyboard to a focused plugin can result is whacky behavior (e.g. while renaming presets), so optional is best.
08-22-2009 07:22 PM

I do not understand...the keystroke for spacebar (pause/play) seems to work here.
08-22-2009 11:53 PM

space doesn't work as play/stop when the focus is on the dock. but if you create a macro (ie: ctrl+space = play/stop) it will work. i've just tested it here.
08-23-2009 05:49 AM

It doesn't when your anywhere, but the mixer.
08-23-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
It doesn't when your anywhere, but the mixer.
i've just tested it again now and it works for sure.

ctrl+space = play/stop works no matter where the focus is
08-23-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingle
i've just tested it again now and it works for sure.

ctrl+space = play/stop works no matter where the focus is
i think the question is what has more priority.
the shortcuts or the focused window.

if the focused, then you don't have nothing to do unless to define macro with rarely used shortcut

but if the shortcuts have more priority

maybe you can set the space as the shortcut to toggle play.

and i just checked it, the space key allready defined as a shortcut to toggle play.

so a FR - shortcut will get more priority than focus windows. (by option)
can help.

and until then, use unused shortcut. :)
08-23-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingle
space doesn't work as play/stop when the focus is on the dock.
not exactly.
only if the current tab use the space , like the media browser, it don't work.
08-24-2009 07:48 PM

well, how about implementing the same transport controls as in the mainwindow to _any_ window? that way the problem would be solved, as i could assign the same action to the transport controls in any window, and those who do not like that, they could unassign the transport controls ...
08-25-2009 01:08 AM

This is why it's very good to have external control surface, because their transport controls work at any time and aren't dependant on the currently focused window.

:)

j/k (but you know that I'm right on the spot. Behringer BCF2000 ain't that expensive...)
08-25-2009 11:04 AM

evil dragon,
i`ve read your post already when you posted it at the first, don`t worry .... :) and while your method works, no doubt, it still is a workaround. it has to work with the normal computer keyboard, just as in every other host.
08-25-2009 11:08 AM

I wouldn't look at it as a workaround, more like a workflow improvement, you know, because you get more knobs and buttons and faders, too. But I do agree that it has to work the same with just a keyboard.
08-25-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
I wouldn't look at it as a workaround, more like a workflow improvement, you know, because you get more knobs and buttons and faders, too. But I do agree that it has to work the same with just a keyboard.
if it is only working with an external control unit then it _is_ a workaround, though i agree that for a lot of users a controller like the bc2000 is essential of course ...
i for one have the maudio axiom, and it has transport control buttons, still, i couldn`t get used to using these, i have my fingers on the computerkeyboard mostly, and i`m sooo used to do it via thatone, i just couldn`t switch ... :)
02-27-2010 12:30 AM

Doesn't happen here. I can stop/start playback fine via Spacebar when docked FX have focus.
02-27-2010 01:44 AM

when a plugin window is open and active i can't stop by using spacebar, but if i mouseclick somewhere in the reaper fx window around the plugin's interface then spacebar acts as it should. i'm on reaper osx intel
02-27-2010 02:33 AM

What plugin?
02-27-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
What plugin?
any plug-in's interface.
02-27-2010 10:13 AM

the thing is, that this is happening not only when the fx window is in focus. it happens generally, when another window has the focus that doesn`t have it`s own transport commands. in the prv (or wherever that feature is availlable), i have set reaper up the way that at least the transport controls are pasing through to the main window.

there`s a general problem with the focuss/keystroke management in reaper, it`s not only tied to the transport keystrokes. f.e. if i have docked the media explorer to the main window, as soon as the media explorer is open, it steals every keystroke. i f.e. cannot set up a key-toggle to open/close the media explorer, as, as soon as it is open (opening via keystroke works), i can`t use the same key (in fact, _no_ key at all), to close it again ...
(edit: bold-marked is solved in newest version)

the keybinding management/window/docker management in reaper is a real pita in reaper. as soon as you change the default settings, half of the stuff doesn`t workcorrectly anymore ...
02-27-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
any plug-in's interface.
Not here.
02-28-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
Not here.
Are you positive? Any plug I try, if I touch the interface (not the window that holds
the GUI) most of the keys including SPACE are not passed through to Reaper.

Maybe some plug-ins let the keys through by default, but I have no idea how key
focus is handled, I just know that if option "pass all keys to plug-in GUI" is not
selected, all keys should always go to main window.
02-28-2010 01:13 AM

WHAT plugins? Try REAPER's VST plugins first.
02-28-2010 06:05 AM

3rd party plug-ins. Reaper's plugs pass the key through. I just tested
on my PC, and it seems I cannot reproduce the problem... Seems more
OSX specific, but I'm guessing the brok is Windows user. Will try to do
more tests today on win version.
04-17-2010 09:49 PM

my feature request here solves this and many other related issues:

Global Action Option
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2230

Issue Tools