Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

MCU fader riding freezes because of UNDO Activated Issue Tools
issueid=3819 12-15-2011 09:51 AM
Human being with feelings
MCU fader riding freezes because of UNDO Activated
Mcu fader riding freezes because of undo point creation + global performance issue on undo point creation

A) Critical Issue with undo point creation and MCU

There are three licecaps :

1)I'm writing to a volume envelope with a tascam US 2400, UNDO is OFF

Everything works as expected : my fader riding is natural and continuous.

2)I'm writing to a volume envelope with a tascam US 2400, UNDO is ON :

Now there is a problem, each time I stay on the same value for a short time, REAPER create an UNDO point, although my finger is still touching the fader. It should only create an undo point once my finger leaves the fader.

3)I'm writing to a volume envelope with REAPER's fader, UNDO is ON :

It works as expected, UNDO point are created only when I release the click.

CONCLUSION : There should be an option to "don't create undo points till the finger leave the fader".
BTW, you can also add the option to "Start with MCP visibility" (I don't have the "global view" button on my Tascam so I have to cheat each time I start REAPER).

B) Poor performance of UNDO point creation.

I find a bit strange REAPER is freezing to write an undo point of such a little piece of data, especially on a big computer and reasonable CPU projects .
On big projects it is very very annoying, and I don't see a reason writing a tiny undo to memory should be longer along the envelope data of the full project gets bigger (with same FX/Items).
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 4.14
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 3
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-15-2011 11:03 AM

Just curious.. does the TASCAM send a message that would enable REAPER to detect that your finger had left the fader? If not, how would you expect REAPER to differentiate between taking your finger off the fader and just not moving the fader (but keeping your finger on it)?

REAPER can tell in the case when you're using the on-screen fader because it can read the status of the mouse button.
12-15-2011 12:18 PM

Yes the touch mode / latch mode works exactly as expected. Reaper knows when I'm touching, and when I'm not.
12-16-2011 03:03 AM

Are you are using my extension or the default MCU extension that comes with Reaper? In the latter case: Are you using other extensions?

I asked because as far as i know, for each Undo-Point Reaper is asking the extension for their current state (or more precise, for the part of the state that should be stored e.g. in the project file). Reaper can not know if something has changed here, the extension states are a black box.
12-16-2011 06:39 AM

I'm using REAPER's native MCU because I need 2 MCU extender.

But I think the real issue is the UNDO performance issue.

Imagine project A and project B are exactly the same (FX/ITEMS/ENVELOPES ACTIVATED), but in project B I have already recorded 45 mn of envelopes ...

Why put 1 s of envelope in UNDO memory makes reaper freeze in project B and not in project A ? In both case it's just 1s of envelope data to be put in memory, isn't it ?
01-15-2012 12:10 PM

Part A of this issue is fixed in 4.15 rc3. You can consider the whole issue fixed,since I'll create a new and better bug report for part B.

Thanks !

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue