Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Trim & Convert option in Save dialog creates duplicate files (sometimes.. a lot of them!) Issue Tools
issueid=762 07-31-2009 08:43 AM
Mobile
Trim & Convert option in Save dialog creates duplicate files (sometimes.. a lot of them!)
The trim & convert checkbox should output a project RPP with the parts of audio files in use in the session, but it doesn't recognise multiple uses of the same audio

If you take a project with repeated instances of the exact same audio (a drum loop for example) and save using "trim and convert" then for each instance of that drum loop a new identical output file will be created - if there are 100 instances the output folder suddenly looks huge and projects that have been "trimmed" end up being much bigger than the originals.

Also (and this is probably the coding head-scratcher) the function doesn't spot when a take forms *part* of the same audio used in another take on the timeline, so if you keep an edited and unedited version of the same audio in a project, or repeat certain parts, then once again new versions are unnecessarily saved.

I'd actually be pretty happy if just the first part could be solved since I'm sure the second is really not trivial, but I'd hope it would be possible for REAPER to detect takes using identical sources & time ranges.

Cheers!

drew
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Arcana
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.06
Closed Version 3.22
Yes votes 2
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-31-2009 11:34 AM
Human being with feelings

07-31-2009 12:31 PM
Mobile

I wouldn't call it a Feature Request Dstruct!

If many files are created for a identical references to a specific source file, it's a bug I say.
07-31-2009 12:39 PM

No, it's a feature request because it needs additonal logic.

DONE (3.22)
08-01-2009 12:39 PM

08-01-2009 04:53 PM
Mobile

This bug report thread is about TRIM & CONVERT - kindly post your requests relating to other features elsewhere, please.
08-01-2009 05:04 PM

It's not a bug, it's a different logic that Reaper uses, which isn't really economic, so to say. It is valid to call this a feature request (to change the logic of trim&convert behaviour), and all Dstruct's links are also valid and on topic.
08-02-2009 02:40 AM
Mobile

There is no way anybody will convince me that a "trim" function creating 100 identical output files is not a bug!

Links to file handling of other features is not relevant to the title of the topic.
02-05-2010 09:43 AM

FIXED (3.22)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue