View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #105
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 2,512
Default

I reinstalled MX Linux this morning (long story)...anyway I just tested Reaper again and its performance wasn't nearly as good. My prior install of the distro had no tweaks, so I was puzzled. Until I realized I hadn't bothered to install JACK this time (qjackctl and its dependencies), since I don't really use JACK. I had installed it on the prior install of my distro, just to test some features of it. When I installed this last time, it must've done something for me: added a directory and a file, and configured it. This time I was prompted during the install of qjackctl that it would do so. I recognized the name of the file:

/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf

Other than the commented-out lines, the useful info in it is:

Code:
@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
After this change, I restarted and Reaper was running at the same stability/performance as the last time I had installed my distro (low latency, solid).

I know you said you added the audio group and added yourself to it, in /etc/security/limits.conf. If you used the same info as above, and you're certain your user has been added to the "audio" group, it's supposed to work. But maybe check to see what's in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf (if it exists) isn't contradictory in some way to what's in /etc/security/limits.conf.

As per the info I found on UbuntuStudio's site about JACK: "Please note that creating or modifying /etc/security/limits.conf may cause conflicts with the JACK-written /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf settings."

I'm a bit confused about this since one of the first things I had tried when using Linux was to do the recommended adding of the audio group and adding myself to it, and putting that info above in the /etc/security/limits.conf file. It seemed to make no difference, so I reverted that file. But later when I installed qjackctl it must've done those same changes within /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf and it did make a noticeable difference. I hadn't realized it at the time, but that's what happened. So maybe you can try reverting the changes you made to /etc/security/limits.conf, and install qjackctl to see if its way of doing it somehow works better. You can also check your user manager to see if the audio group exists, and that your user is a part of that group.
__________________
http://petersamplification.com
Core i3-6300 - MSI B150M Mortar - 8 GB RAM - Asus Xonar DX - Linux Mint 19.1 (64-bit) - REAPER for Linux

Last edited by JamesPeters; 05-06-2019 at 04:29 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote