View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default gradual tempo changes: gridline display/snapping and envelope pasting issues

composing electronic instrumental music. i'll build the song in its entirety, then go back throughout the different sections and add tempo changes to help build/reduce song intensity. it's mostly great.

however, envelopes do not seem to account for tempo changes when they are copied and pasted to another area. see here. a volume envelope is copied from an earlier section and pasted on a later section. each section has its own distinct tempo changes. the relative distance between the envelope activity is not preserved, and it appears that the literal post-tempo change timing of the envelope is preserved instead.

in this gif, the copied volume envelope "fits" the item perfectly below. when it is pasted, it is pushed later. (the huge midi item behind the audio items serves as a kind of "automation item" for catching envelope points with "move env with items" selected -- ignore it. the same thing happens when i copy envelopes in that fashion)

(aside from the tempo issue, i'm finding that i cannot trust "move envelope with items" and that i have to triple check any time i copy large swathes of my project to confirm that the envelope actually copied as intended. but this should be its own thread, and would be resolved with track automation items that don't extend past the actual item. would have been useful in the above licecap, that's for certain)

2nd issue, i've been finding that grid/snap lines become screwed up with gradual tempo change markers (everything was fine before putting them in). more testing is needed here, as upon re-opening the project, i'm not seeing the same strange behavior. unfortunately it's not something i do often, probably only in 1 session per dozen, but i'll keep an eye on it.

Last edited by mccrabney; 10-16-2016 at 06:34 PM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote