View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #31
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
All of these Linux issues on all the desktop environments could potentially be resolved by using either GTK or Qt to handle the menus, instead of drawing them manually; just as the OSX version uses Apple's menu APIs instead of drawing them manually.
IIRC there was some back and forth on this years ago. I'm not 100% sure why this approach was chosen, but most likely it would be more pain to fit SWELL into gtk+/Qt than doing it like this.

The other side of the argument is that if it was made for gtk+, then Qt people would probably complain and vice versa. On the positive side this makes it possible to theme the appearance of windows, dialogs & menus through the use of a libSwell.colotheme, see the never ending eye cancer discussion regarding themes and OS level dialogs.

But SWELL is opensource so anyone feeling strongly about it could make a gtk+ or Qt version.

Edit: Something else that's relevant occurred to me while working. It appears that there have been occasional ABI changes in both gtk+ & Qt without changing the soname, which might make it impossible/unreliable to run on a system with a precompiled libSwell.so. So each user would then have to build their own libSwell linked to the version of the toolkit they have installed.

There are also potential problems with plugins, say running a plugin linked with gtk+ v2 with libSwell linked to gtk+ v3, etc. But hopefully one day plugin developers will understand that using a toolkit like gtk+ or Qt is asking for problems, and should be avoided at all costs..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-23-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote