View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #62
Wolffman
Human being with feelings

Hi fellas
I've been following this thread lately with interest to see how things would shape up.
As it happens designing roof trusses, wall frames and structual beams etc is my day job so i might be able to help out with some ideas.
I'm in Australia and from looking at your pics our building practices are very different but that shouldn't matter with what you want to do as long as it complies with your local building codes etc.
In fact it may not matter at all as you should be able to do this job without affecting the structual integrity of your existing building at all.

From what i've read in this thread and on your blog site you plan to build a new set of wallframes inside the existing ones, and a new pitched ceiling under the existing ceiling, in one end of your shed, measuring aprox 4420mm x 3390mm, is that right ?

I see your going to move and or replace an internal wall to create the new space, also i'm not sure from looking at the pictures but do you also have to remove the ceiling in this area as well ?
If so you could use this new wall to tie your external walls together, there fore retaining the structual integrity of the building.

My idea would be to build the new side walls inside the existing ones as shown in some of the drawings in this thread, with new Gable-end walls also, these would rake up at the same pitch as the under side of existing roof structure and a ridge beam.board would be housed at the apex of these new inside gable walls.
Then you could pitch some rafters from the new inside / side walls up the the ridge beam fixed at each end with a metal fastener ( like a Trip-L-Grip or similar ), then fix some ceiling batterns to the new rafters to take the ceiling material.
Thats pretty much all you would need i think.

This new structure would be completely independent of the existing building and also completly non structual so minimum timber sizes could be used which would help to keep the cost to a minimum.

I hope this is making some sense, the terminoligy might be a little different than what your used to which might confuse things.

Let me know if any of this needs further explanation.

Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote