View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
pljones
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETO View Post
Just for clarity's sake: One stereo channel in ninjam turns into one mono WAV.. Not sure if left/right information is in fact merged or if it takes only the left or the right channel. Need to check that..
I just thought (well, on the bus home...) - is it after you load the clipsort.log you see mono or have you checked the files on disk?
Quote:
I still remember the good old early 2000s when data transmission was still a novelty
Hah! Online was old hat to me by then . I've been online (running a dial-up BBS; using dial-up IP; finally getting ADSL the moment it was available) since the 1985 (and ouch the phone bills) . But yeah, no one really noticed until 2000 or so...
Quote:
and everybody including myself started "online bands" with sea miles between them. Same kind of magic happening with Ninjam.
I didn't really get back into playing music properly until I found NINJAM -- I'd played clarinet at school (two "gigs" at the Royal Albert Hall, no less... not that I was any good but the London schools did it every once in a while and I got lucky twice). After school, I stopped. I took got an acoustic kit and took drum lessons briefly, playing for my stepson and his mates once or twice. Too @@@@ing loud... I'd always played with computer sounds but nothing serious, ever since my BBC Micro days (late 1980s), even demo-ing a MIDI keyboard -- several months' salary... I did buy the synth, which was cheaper and sounded nice... and then never really did anything with it except sell it! I got into MIDI and soundfonts on Linux around 2000... gave up and moved to Windows around 2003 (the same "issues" with Linux sound still exist and are not technical, really: too few people, not working together...). Worked with René on getting sfz format 1.0 satisfactory - except he wouldn't get my hi-hat muting working properly. Ever. Sforzando does .
Quote:
Nice work btw! Is that Addictive Drums I hear?
I listened to Addictive Drums once - okay, only the freebie demo - but it sounded very shallow. Learning point: if you're going to produce a demo, make it something that sells the product...

It's mostly Natural Studios ns_kit7 (now Natural Drum Kit; possibly still available) Rock Kit, snares on with sticks. (Yes, there's a lot of alternative samples filling what was a five DVD set.) I also use Analogue Drums RockStock from their Tape Series 1, although it's very limited, particularly the hi-hat, in comparison. Add on to that Native Instruments Abbey Road Late 60s Drummer. Occasionally you'll hear Analogue Drums Gorilla kit from their Tape Series 2, which has a much better hi-hat (I just don't particularly like the kit). Other bits of Tape Series 2 will, hopefully, start appearing over time...

I just posted my current set up over on the ninbot forum so won't repeat it all here.

(By the way, I'm picky about how a sampled hi-hat behaves...)

Last edited by pljones; 03-21-2013 at 12:57 PM.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote