View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #37
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminx View Post
It's really hard to recommend a distro, as it really depends on the Linux skills and motivation of the user to dig into system details.
As you have most software available on all main distros, it also doesn't matter too much which one you chose, as you can customize the system anyways.

I personally like to be KISS and my system is customized to be as ergonomic as possible, e.g. got many repetetive tasks mapped to shortkeys reachable by my left hand, to avoid switching my right hand between mouse and keyboard too much - and to avoid using the mouse as much as possible.

I'm running a super minimal RT customized Debian installation with a tiling window manager (Awesome WM) where nothing is running except the absolute essential processes.

No icons, no moving or resizing windows, no titlebars and all that clutter that one got used to when Windows took over in the 90s.

Reaper has almost all system resources for itself on my system.

For that matter I like Debian, because you can start with the most minimal installation possible, and then add the needed packages.
With Ubuntu you always get kind of a bloated installation - which is fine for users who don't want to be bothered with low-level system stuff.

But I wouldn't recommend my approach to anyone without enough experience with Linux.
Your setup sounds great! I've been dreaming of making a Raspberry Pi tablet with a similar configuration. :-)
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote