View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #26
panicaftermath
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
....go to project settings and put in Time sig, Tempo and also Key=Bb maj right up front. Then when they add their tracks and MIDI items they have that keysig on all new tracks/staves.
This makes me think of how Reaper's time sig and tempo sig share a common marker, and how editing one requires editing the other, if only incidentally or passively, and the inconveniences it not outright problems that can cause. Time sig and tempo have no necessary relationship to each other, and combining them into a single marker just reaps (!) confusion.

Likewise, having the song's key sig be connected to the the "key snap" setting, and then having having that single setting determine how note names are displayed, seems like three different functions have been combined into one. At first glance, it seems to make some sense (definitely more so than with time sig and tempo) but in practice, it's a very uneven implementation.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this resolves itself as notation is further refined. I feel that having notation makes demands and raises the bar and on how the piano roll operates, given they they are actually just two views on the same data, with each view setting up expectations for how the other operates.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote