View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
Diki Ross
Human being with feelings

Normally I import an SMF (I work on backing tracks for use in keyboards at live gigs - yes, I know, how old school!), and explode by channel into separate tracks.

Each track contains only the one channel data. I then go to the track outputs (right click after selecting all tracks) and select my MIDI device (my keyboard's USB input) and set the output to 'Original channel'. This saves me the hassle of selecting each channel individually and hand setting the output channel (something Reaper really ought to do automatically, like every other sequencer/DAW out there) before I start.

The problem starts if I cut some data from say Ch2. and paste it into Ch1's track. When set to 'Original Channel' the track outputs the Ch2 data on CH2, even when pasted into the track with the CH1 data. I can understand this. Makes sense.

But after I set the track with the Ch1 data to be Ch1 in the MIDI output, the Ch2 data now PLAYS as Ch1 data, exactly as you would expect.

The problem is, when I finally want to save the SMF by 'Export Project MIDI...' the Ch2 data (set to Ch1 in the output) gets exported as Ch2 data! This makes absolutely no sense to me. Shouldn't the export be EXACTLY what the sequencer plays? It's playing it as Ch1, but exporting as Ch2.

This is as wrong as it gets, and the idea that I should have to go through ALL my tracks, applying properties to actually change all data to the channel I want, when it is already doing that at the master MIDI output is crazy!

So, one more time, am I doing something wrong? Or is the program crazy to export a file that is different to what it is playing?

Imagine that you couldn't rely on an audio export set to Master Mix, Entire Project to render EXACTLY what you were hearing! That's basically the problem here.
Diki Ross is offline   Reply With Quote