Thread: New DDP Export
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #307
anrug
Human being with feelings

Hello everybody, as Wyatt has mentioned I'm unfortunately very busy at the moment. But nevertheless really want "ddpinfo" to work with as many flavors of DDP as possible. So, whenever you get an error or no output, please send me a note to ddp@andreasruge.de, I will look into it and fix it, if it's a bug in my code. Please also either include the DDP files (just exclude the big audio file) or send the output of "ddpinfo" without any options along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabatnam View Post
Trying to list what could be wrong, I tinkered directly with ddpinfo.exe using the command line (I usually hate that),
Sorry, about that. Maintaining a cross-platform GUI is a lot of work, while my main priority was to be able to quickly and safely create a DDP master and inspect a given DDP master. But you still may be able to convince me to write a GUI, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabatnam View Post
By the way, this is with a DDP set from Reaper; with a DDP from a Sadie 5 from a friend's studio there's no result at all: It can't even pass the verifying step... even in command line (that's a bit surprising since this DDP went in production without any problem and the released CDs were ok).
That is strange indeed, there should be some output at least, as I'm not aware of SADiE doing anything non-standard with their DDPs. The verification is another story, that - strictly speaking - has nothing to do with the DDP standard. The wording is not perfect I'd say, because it verifies checksums found in the same folder as the DDP files, which some mastering software puts in there (everyone in it's own format basically). So checks the integrity of the DDP files, but it does not check the DDP content for plausibility or being up to the spec etc.

@Wyatt:
I think using "ddpinfo -f" is not a good idea here. "ddpinfo" generally does not modify the DDP master, except if you use this option. So it should only be used if you are really sure, you want it. I personally would even hate to have even different timestamps on my DDP master files.

One more comment if I may: it would be great to see the output of "ddpinfo" and "cdrecord" in real time.

Also I certainly agree that Window's "Choose directory..." dialog never felt very natural to work with. I can look into changing ddpinfo to also accept the DDPID file within the directory as argument. Then Wyatt can use the "Open File..." dialog, with a filter set to only accept files named "DDPID".
anrug is offline   Reply With Quote