View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #57
ferropop
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
*let's assume that there's an "as option" tag to everything i say in regards to automation items.

i agree differently. i think they need a one-off value at automation point end, not a static value that is applied in between automation items. compare to the existing REAPER feature - item automation envelopes for item fx, vs track automation envelopes for track fx. in the former, there is no envelope activity whatsoever in between items - but the parameter is left at last position and stays there until snapping instantly to next active envelope point.

i'm advocating for is a workflow that would be more like "item automation envelopes for track fx."

i hope REAPER will bypass the envelope when there is no automation item. yes, this will mean that all automation will have to be contained in items - i don't see a disadvantage here and will likely figure out a workflow to automatically contain any automation i write in an item, and resize the items accordingly.

furthermore, this would hopefully allow midi cc assignments to be useful during sections where there are no automation items.
I can agree to some of what you say. The thing is, I think the whole point of automation items is for when you use an automation shape so often that it'd be useful to copy/paste it all over the place, across tracks etc.

Your example of Item FX Automation doesn't quite make sense here -- because the parameter being automated only exists on the item itself so it doesn't matter what's happening around it. With track effects, the parameter is active during the entire track, so it needs to know its value at all times.

...think of automating a lowpass filter to suddenly go from minimum to maximum...you'd draw a curve up and then leave the automation at maximum for the rest of the song (for example). Should that entire gigantic section after the curve be enclosed in an item? To me it doesn't make sense.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote