View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #46
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I'm with you. There are definitely pros and cons for each. Thus, the reason I started this thread to find out prior to making a purchase decision. I think it's ridiculous that I even have to have a discussion related to driver support in the 1st place for an audio interface. I have no doubts RME makes good drivers.
All good, I'm for all of it, OSS, proprietary etc. but as I mentioned in what I just posted... I just think that when I (for example, I don't actually make interfaces LOL) could write my drivers for my hardware, I can do better because I don't have to be generic and deal with "any old thing" someone else slaps together - that especially annoying if I (again an example) wanted to make things as good as I can, but I have to dilute that to satisfy someone else who really doesn't care because they just want to make the sale. Many manufacturers who essentially rebrand hardware and use class-compliant drivers are doing just that, trying to profit from a market they don't have the expertise to be in.

Take care.