View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 04:44 AM   #212
geraintluff
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahya View Post
I've been trying to get your midi harmony to work, but I'm struggling as there doesn't seem to be much documentation / videos on how to make use of it. I've tried creating my own pattern, but as there are no grid lines for the pitch it's hard to set it so it is the original pitch (or even any other pitch, you have to guess).
Yeah, I didn't get around to making a video for this - sorry for that.

The pitch sequence isn't relative, it's absolute (similar to Droplets). The sequence uses the centre and a range to select a target note/range, and then it rounds that to the nearest "allowed" note. In the display at the top, you can see the "allowed" notes in grey, and the active notes in orange.

So if your range is set to "C4 / 12st", then the pattern will produce target notes will be in the range C3-C5. It then approximates these notes as best it can, using the allowed notes from the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahya View Post
Also I was hoping to do more complex things, for example I could enter a pattern for a bass line but I can't get the note to sustain more than one 'beat' / tick. For example if I wanted a bass line where the first note is a dotted note, I can't get it to 'hold' that first note.
Ah yeah - that would be cool. Instead of having pitch/vel, it would be neat to be able to specify some time-steps as "sustain".

What you could try is the "MIDI" option for Target. Basically, instead of relying on the in-built sequence, you specify your own sequence using a different MIDI channel (16 by default). This lets you put any pattern you like in there, and change them over time etc.

I just recorded a (quite rough!) demo for you, to illustrate how that can work: https://youtu.be/emfZvlxiJkU - apologies for the very loud mouse-clicks.

I forgot to say in the video, but one important detail is that if two notes in the "target" input are back-to-back but end up rounding to the same output note, then it will just continue that note. So, if you need them to be separate, you have to leave a bit of space at the end of each note.

Geraint

Last edited by geraintluff; 02-12-2020 at 06:30 AM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote