View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #95
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
Sai'ke,

Thanks for you detailed response. The solution you offered does indeed make the attack and release times independent. I have other issues trying to adapt the compressor to my needs, but I'll come back after I've read the paper so I can express myself better/fully
Cool. Yeah, I mean, I'm not a compressor expert or anything. But from that paper, I found this one to be most musically useful.

Is there any particular aim that you're designing the compressor for which isn't fulfilled at the moment?

Also, feel free to rip the code. I think using this as a starting point is not too bad, since then you've got oversampling and visualization covered. I'd love to see you improve on it.

Quote:
It's so nice having an academic here. You're awesome, man.
My background is dynamical systems (which does have some overlap and does include some DSP, but isn't exactly music DSP). I have a lot to learn when it comes to DSP for music, but so far it's been quite fun.

Are you an academic as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Hmm, actually I meant that the post gain should _only_ affect the Wet path, so we can use it to compensate and get an even volume balance between Dry and Wet paths when the waveshaper starts to kick in.
Done (gain only affecting wet path). Adding another knob may be possible, but I'm kind of running out of sliders again. I would have to think which ones to flag as automatable and which ones not.

Quote:
Thank you here I kind of meant that the bypassed signal would be just the Dry path (without post-gain, see above). Then post-gain would be used on the Wet signal to balance the loudness with the Dry, and then you can toggle bypass to switch between the two while maintaining contant loudness.
This should now also be the current behavior.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh by the way, would it be possible to increase the post-gain range? I keep running out of range on that slider when pushing things into distortion with the shift+drag inverse link, especially on high frequency bands where it can take quite a bit of drive to get in there.
Done. It's the same range as the drive now but antagonistic.

Also did some more work on the LFO stuff. I should probably also expose the drive and dry/wet as LFO/ENV modulateable parameter.

Any other per band effects that could be interesting in terms of sound design? I was thinking of widening, panning, vibrato (although this would likely cause comb filtering artefacts with other bands due to phase issues), but there may be ideas out there that are cooler than mine. I have a limited number of sliders, so it will only be possible to get a limited number of these automate-able from the arrange view; which is why it's a nice idea to think about early, rather than late.