View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #1
574X
Human being with feelings

Default "Virtual MIDI Keyboard: Send all input to VKB" shortcut doesn't toggle (FIXED)

BUG: "Virtual MIDI Keyboard: Send all input to VKB" shortcut doesn't toggle
edit: and the vkb doesn't interact optimally with other program functionality.

It seems logical that if a text box is selected, or if no track is Record Armed it should temporarily disable "Send all input to VKB," like it effectively functions in Live.

To clarify, "all input" doesn't apply to many multi-button commands, as you can still copy/paste, etc. and trigger shortcuts, but not to toggle this.

Workaround: It's possible to close the keyboard with alt-b to turn "Send all input to VKB" off, but you have to both open the keyboard and enable "Send all input to VKB" again, whenever you want to momentarily type text. b is a free key so I've added it as the shortcut, and now I press alt-b, then b to play, and alt-b to turn it off.

Due to the number of shortcuts/hotkeys in Reaper, it's understandable why the keyboard does not play midi notes by default. The general workflow is amazing.

However, consider the most streamlined mobile model: part of the keyboard plays midi notes by default in Live, so as soon as you load a virtual instrument, you're playing music with your computer keyboard. The fixes I'm suggesting would get Reaper nearly to that ideal, while still preserving the extended functionality of having a much wider directly playable range on the computer keyboard than Live has.

These fixes would be of tremendous help especially to mobile, laptop producers. Thank you.

Last edited by 574X; 11-06-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
574X is offline   Reply With Quote