View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Youlean
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
I don't know what the minimum is. I don't think that's the most important consideration, though. Building under 10.8 doesn't necessarily mean it won't run under 10.6.8, unless you code support for a feature that requires 10.8. That's unlikely, because you're relying on the IPlug framework for most non-audio/midi features.

So, I think the most important consideration—as far as minimum—is Plug's minimum requirements. If you can't build IPlug, you're probably trying to go back too far.

The biggest changes over the years for Mac, as far as plugins, have been carbon vs cocoa GUI, and 32/64-bit support. Hosts have been supporting cocoa GUIs long before carbon GUIs became obsolete, so there is no point in trying to go with ancient SDKs for carbon support.

64-bit Mac hosts, in general do not support 32-bit plugins (there are work-arounds), so you can't just put out a 32-bit plugin and think you'll have max compatibility. But it's easy enough to generate 32- and 64-bit versions. (I don't support 32-bit.)

I'd think that the only reason to build IPlug with an SDK less than 10.7 is to support Carbon GUIs. And Carbon GUI support make no sense at this point.

You can go forward trying to build with SDK 10.5 and Xcode 3.1. My comments have been mainly to "I know it's old but theoretically offer maximum of compatibility". You might be on your own, though, as there's not a lot of motivation for people to keep IPlug compiling under old Xcode and SDKs for Mac.
Indeed, like earlevel said. But you should use latest macOS and XCode with old SDK (like 10.5) if you want to support old operating systems. The best bet to choose SDK is to use same version as your oldest supported operating system. BTW, you can also use 10.12 SDK and target 10.7 without the problem.
Youlean is offline   Reply With Quote