View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #37
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
So for a mass layer of drywall, I guess it needs to be solid and not a pile of scrap?
Typically when making sound walls the drywall is put up and lots of effort is spent meticulously caulking or filling all the seams. If they're doing two layers, the second layer gets put up at 90 degrees (or just offset) to the first to minimize seam overlap.

So, AFAIK it would be much better to have it be solid, but even scraps assembled together would likely do something. They just wouldn't behave as a "leaf" and with all the seams I'm sure it wouldn't perform as well.

Then again, if we're talking about a floor, presumably there is something on top of the scraps locking them all together, and previous posts here suggest that air leakage isn't the concern so much as conduction through the floor, so maybe the seams are moot as well, in which case maybe the drywall scraps can serve usefully as bulk mass fill... I'm still curious as to whether this would last without gradually turning to powder, though. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote