View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #107
jas
Human being with feelings

Default Track Selection

Area Selection is a long standing popular request on the Reaper elevated tracker forum. It represents the evolution of Selection in the Feature Request forum. No further posts can be made in the elevated tracker forum.
So, I wish to comment here about it. A fundamental capability I find lacking in Reaper is the utilization of Track Selection for arming tracks for editing.
Editing can happen on one track, or group enabled tracks, but a fundamental ability is ignored by Reaper. As multitrack recording evolved in the analogue world, any tracks armed for record could be recorded on. That followed suit into the editing world as the first DAW's came into use. Any tracks armed for edit could be edited. Early hardware/software systems (New England Digital, Fairlight, Akai) were examples of that. Then Protools took that model and employed it in their user interface via Track Selection. Many other DAW's today do the same. It is a very rudimentary design that allows the user to select any range of tracks to be edited. This makes multitrack editing quite intuitive for many of us. I really wish Reaper would follow suit with this simple convention. This goes for copy, paste, delete, move, nudge, trim, slip, snap, ripple, envelope or any mode of editing or level adjustment on audio or midi.

Last edited by jas; 06-07-2010 at 07:41 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote