Thread: AbbeyRoad...
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #82
hopi
Human being with feelings

OK... so I just sent the version with blue meters via email...

Let's talk about pngauntlet a litte...

first, YES... it is to me a wonderful tool and it is free and even though there are other png compression tools out there, my testing has shown me that pngauntlet actually not only does the best job but it way easier to use than anything else I've tried.
I don't have the problem you mentioned about administrator rights since I am the only 'user' on my PC and I have full admin rights. I'm on Win7 Pro 64 bit.

OK...that said, here is what I have seen with pngauntlet:

First, how I use it...

I just drag and drop the entire folder of png files onto the blank UI of the program and then hit the Optomise button at the top. I have it set to overwrite the existing files with the new compressed pngs...
In the case of AbbeyRoad, it can take about 3-4 minutes to totally finish..
Seems like there are about 4-5 files that it really slows down for at the end... so you have to watch the file count down at the bottom left... when it shows that it has completed them all you are good to go.

OK... I know you don't use Photoshop, but this should be mentioned as it might affect you in some way. In PS, the color mode is normally RGB color, but PS allows for other color modes, ... after pngauntlet does its work, the png files show up in PS as index color mode... which simply means that if I want to work further on them I have to first just change them back to RGB color mode.... no big deal, just a mouse clk.

So anytime I do more work on them, as a final step, I drag and drop the whole folder onto pngauntlet again.... and this is curious, in that it might get even better compression the second time around... Try it... see what you get.

Anyway, the overall point is that by running all the png's through it, you should get your themes down to a file size that will fit on the stash with room to spare... which in turn means you might have room to add layouts that you otherwise could not. Nice IMHO!

OK I'm going to send you another email with the settings I use for the pngauntlet options..

EDIT: I also just sent another email with an even smaller theme file size... got it down to 1,508 kb
so lots of room for more layouts!

Last edited by hopi; 01-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote