View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
The thing about SM57s (real ones, that is) is that they have a resonance disc which imparts their characteristic mid thwonk which either helps or hurts. You throw it near a snare and you get "that" sound, which a lot of people like but eqing it out isn't as good a solution as just using another mic. For vocals it can be great but it's very much a one and a half trick pony. Good for aggressive vocals but otherwise not the best choice for a cheap dynamic vocal mic. It's actually a pretty versatile drum and instrument mic but while you can get good rock vocals out of it I wouldn't use it for the purpose you describe, especially if you don't don't want to put a surgical eq on it every time, and forget about singing close to it, it's a pop machine if you're singing right up on it : )

I don't have hands on experience with the D7 or e854 but a Beta 58 is a very good all around vocal mic for around $150 that you can use live or at home with good results.
I've found that a bit if distance really tames the honk of a '57.

They are also "forgiving upstream", to paraphrase Slipperman, meaning you can process the crap out of them without the signal facing apart.

Not arguing against your advice, just chucking my 2c in
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote